PDA

View Full Version : Lumatek Ballasts vs Galaxy Ballasts

derek4real
04/24/2009, 08:24 AM
These 2 ballasts seem very similar and I am having trouble trying to see which one is better.

Here are some of the stats I got off a site.

Lumatek Ballasts:

* More lumens generated per watt of electricity consumed - Lumatek™ ballasts have increased efficiency over magnetic ballasts. They lose fewer watts from the power supply to the lamp. This is a power factor of 99%+. The high frequency output results in low power loss.
* Fast start-up – they reach full brightness quickly.
* Completely silent.
* Small compact design.
* Produce less heat.
* Cut-off circuitry – cuts off when a short is detected for ultimate safety.
* Fully interchangeable - Lumatek™ ballasts can light both HPS and MH bulbs (excluding the 750 watt which is HPS only).
* Compatible with Smart Volt™ power cords.
* 5 Year Warranty

Galaxy Ballasts:

* Extruded aluminum housing is engineered to dissipate heat and keep the components cool.
* Smart Volt™ feature allows ballast to run on 120, 208 or 240 volt power. Detachable power cord allows easy change over. Comes standard with 120 volt cord, purchase 240 volt cord separately (Part #903082).
* Resetable circuit breaker for short circuit protection.
* Lamp cord receptacle compatible with all Sun System® reflectors and sockets.
* Operates both HPS & MH lamps.
* Completely silent and lightweight.
* Extremely efficient – 99% power factor.
* FCC compliant.
* Generator ready.
* 5 Year Warranty

Anybody with suggestions or recommendations on these would be appreciated. Does anybody have both for a comparison?

One feature I like the Galaxy over the Lumatek is due to the dual ballast, but that is it.

derek4real
04/25/2009, 07:30 AM
Is there another thread like this? wondering why I am not getting any reponses.....

BreadmanMike
04/25/2009, 08:17 AM
Lumatek's are being brought in by Sunlight Supply who is also selling the Galaxy ballasts. Who know's what the difference is really? Same warranty as each other, but one is blue and one is green. I used to run Galaxy ballasts and they worked great.

I switched over to the UL approved dimmable Coralvue ballasts and I love the dimming feature.

derek4real
04/26/2009, 09:28 AM
really? no one else uses Lumatek Ballast.....

woody283
04/26/2009, 10:11 AM
I bought the lumatek to replace my oddysea ballast and i love it. Its paired with a reeflux 12k. from what ive read about it before purchasing the ballast it is comparible to the Ice Cap.

derek4real
04/26/2009, 10:41 AM
Friend of mine, sold his IC ballasts and went all Lumatek. He had gotten several bulbs (from other reefers) and did some PAR readings, ALL of the bulbs he put on the Lumatek, performed better on that ballast (as far as PAR). None of the bulbs on the Ice Cap Ballast performed better than the Lumatek. Only one bulb performed the same on both ballasts.

wrightnow
04/26/2009, 12:20 PM
I would stay away from dual ballasts just in case one goes out you will not be out two lamps while waiting for repair. I know the dual is cheaper byt I have had a ballast go out.

kuyatwo
04/26/2009, 01:58 PM
derek if you find a good deal on lumatek let me know i am switching over to lumetek from newer style icecap

kuyatwo
04/26/2009, 01:59 PM
one difference is lumatek is a e ballast while galaxy is an electronic ballast like icecap

galaxy can be both 240 or 110 which in theory is suppose to be better if you run at 240

derek4real
04/26/2009, 02:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14900361#post14900361 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kuyatwo
derek if you find a good deal on lumatek let me know i am switching over to lumetek from newer style icecap

kuyatwo, pm sent (on RC)

Rysam
04/26/2009, 02:16 PM
I have 3x250 lumateks and love em.

mine are purple.

ct_vol
04/26/2009, 06:21 PM
Lumateks are decent ballasts... And yes, they are purple... lol ;)

Lumatek Thread:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1322487

dean1977
04/26/2009, 07:03 PM
lumateks are great. they can also be 240 volt
( i have 3 of them) and this will draw less amps. They are e-ballasts too which means they adjust to different bulbs and change the output as the bulb ages. Electronic ballasts dont do this, they run at constant ouput.

derek4real
04/27/2009, 11:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14901740#post14901740 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dean1977
lumateks are great. they can also be 240 volt
( i have 3 of them) and this will draw less amps. They are e-ballasts too which means they adjust to different bulbs and change the output as the bulb ages. Electronic ballasts dont do this, they run at constant ouput.

That seems like a pretty cool feature. I did not know there was a difference between e-ballast and electronic ballasts.

downhillbiker
04/28/2009, 08:45 PM
i have the galaxy ballast as suggested by Sam at Sunlight Supply. Sam is no longer their main rep, or a rep for them at all, but he really knew his stuff. he told me the lumateks had a little higher output, not too noticable, but the galaxy was a much better built ballast. he said all the components in both are nice, but the galaxy is better than he has ever seen in any other ballast.

JNye
04/28/2009, 09:20 PM
great username d4real......i love my lumatek, i chose it over galaxy because it was cheaper and was the "e-ballast" which sounded like a nice feature if its true.

Spartan
04/29/2009, 07:51 PM
There a comment about the lumatek on the marine depot site that says "The only reason I didn't give 5 stars was due to the fact that the stock output power cord was encased in resin inside the housing making it impossible to solder in my fixture's breakaway cord for a clean installation. If you plan on hard wiring this directly to your socket this is not a problem but if you are using this for a prebuilt fixture with breakaway connectors you will have to find a compatable connector or put new ends on both ballast and light fixture. "

I'm planning on using one of these to fire my 250w Se fixture from an old pfo setup.
I know the galaxy is relatively easy to connect if you buy the additional cord for around $15. Can anyone add some detail to that comment - ie difficult or not to connect a fixture to the lumatek?

luther1200
04/29/2009, 08:21 PM
This Ice Cap ballast I'm thinking of getting says its an electronic ballast. But it says it adjust to the bulb as it ages. So is bthis something new for electronic ballast? Or is an e-ballast the same thing ? And if there is a differenence could somebody explain it, and post where they got the info? Thanks.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ICE-150NB&Category_Code=Ice-halide

Rysam
04/29/2009, 08:25 PM
I made disconnects from male and female extension cord ends. i doubt its "right" but it works fine.

Spartan
04/29/2009, 09:13 PM
Rysam, can you post a pic?

luther1200
04/30/2009, 05:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14922832#post14922832 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luther1200
This Ice Cap ballast I'm thinking of getting says its an electronic ballast. But it says it adjust to the bulb as it ages. So is this something new for electronic ballast? Or is an e-ballast the same thing ? And if there is a differenence could somebody explain it, and post where they got the info? Thanks.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ICE-150NB&Category_Code=Ice-halide

Anybody?????

SPStoner
05/01/2009, 05:25 AM
I have 2 x 400w Lumateks and love them. IIRC, the e-ballast signifies that it is a digital ballast with a circuit board. I read somewhere that the Lumateks have a feature, due to being digital, that will ramp up power slightly to the bulb as the bulb ages to help reduce color shift. I will see if I can find where I read that.

scrapz
05/01/2009, 10:36 AM
IMO, i ran radiums on both ballast and it does seems like the lumatek burn a little bit whiter then the galaxy.

i bought 3 lumateks at a time, and 1 ballast blew out within 2 mins of operation. my galaxy never had a problem.

lumateks ran hotter then my galaxys

Haxer
09/19/2010, 05:11 PM
Anybody?????

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am looking to buy new ballast's to run my new tank. I currently have 2 250w ARO ballast's running Ushio 10k bulbs. I am switching to Radium 250w bulbs and my new tank will need 3 ballasts. I am torn between the Lumatek and Galaxy ballast, is their really a diffrence? Also is their enough of a diffrence to justify the price diffrence vs a standard ARO ballast?

Regards,
Eric

grigsy
09/19/2010, 05:21 PM
If you are planning on using Radium 250 watt, I would recommend from experience using an M80 HQI 250 watt ballast instead of an electronic ballast.

M80 HQI will give the bulb much higher PAR ratings.

Magnetic ballasts also tend to last a long time. I have a few of them I am using now.

I have used the same M80 HQI ballasts for more than 7 years now. They still work great and have outlasted the 3 different MH Electronic ballasts that I have used -each which crashed within 2.5 years.

radicaltimes
09/19/2010, 07:19 PM
There customer service is very lacking. A friend of mine has 400 watt Lumatec. He had two that went out within 3 weeks of each other. He has been calling them and you have to leave a message, He hasn;t gotten any responce back after several calls. Other than that he really liked the ballast

Haxer
09/19/2010, 07:22 PM
If you are planning on using Radium 250 watt, I would recommend from experience using an M80 HQI 250 watt ballast instead of an electronic ballast.

M80 HQI will give the bulb much higher PAR ratings.

Magnetic ballasts also tend to last a long time. I have a few of them I am using now.

I have used the same M80 HQI ballasts for more than 7 years now. They still work great and have outlasted the 3 different MH Electronic ballasts that I have used -each which crashed within 2.5 years.

Thanks... But I am only interested in using an electronic or E-Ballast

nikon187
09/20/2010, 01:40 PM

but this is the wrong ballast for the radium. The proper ballast to run the radium is a magnetic m80 hqi not an e-ballast. The electronic will fire it but not drive it to spec ( lower par and different colour)

sasharotty
09/20/2010, 05:40 PM

but this is the wrong ballast for the radium. The proper ballast to run the radium is a magnetic m80 hqi not an e-ballast. The electronic will fire it but not drive it to spec ( lower par and different colour)

I heard the galaxy ballasts were "made" for the radium bulbs is this true??

James77
09/20/2010, 06:24 PM
I heard the galaxy ballasts were "made" for the radium bulbs is this true??

It is true that it was said, but only the M80 magnetics run the radiums to spec. The Galaxy drives it a bit more than the average electronic will though.