PDA

View Full Version : African Flameback Angelfish

HOBrien
04/24/2009, 09:15 AM
I am looking at doing either a pair or trio of these angelfish in my 200g tank. So my question is would all need to be aquired at the same time? I wont be able to select each individual fish so when I order they will be a general 1-2" in size.

Bax
04/24/2009, 03:06 PM
IMO, it's best to gather them from where ever, and add them at once. If there's a big difference in size, add the smaller ones first, then the largest.

I think it's a great idea and you'll have a big time watching them sort it out and create a hierarchy

HOBrien
04/24/2009, 04:45 PM
So in your experience they will not be to aggressive to each other ending in death as long as they are added together?

Bax
04/24/2009, 07:55 PM
Can't speek from experience with flame backs. But I've paired a couple of difficult pairs of fish. You can never guarantee that they won't fight or even kill one another. In general adding such fish together is the best way. If you add them one after another, I would use an isolation vessle to introduce each fish. The latter is actually the way I have added the new fish.

HOBrien
04/24/2009, 08:46 PM
Ok thanks for the help.

JamesJR
04/25/2009, 05:13 PM
I would keep an eye out as african flamebacks are pretty aggressive.

tcmfish
04/25/2009, 09:15 PM
I would get a pair. Order a small one and a large or two smalls. In a 200 you should have no problems with long term aggression and should soon have a pair. They will work it out.

Check the red house.

rachenbrazil
04/26/2009, 12:04 PM
I have a Brazilian flame back , close related to african flame back. I got 2 one very small ( 1 in) amd another larger (2in) they are in my fish only and they do perform some mating dance behavior...male can change part of his blue color to almost silver color. Most of time they swin together but large one (male) would chase female sometimes, so she runs over rockwork... so if you have some rockwork a pair would be fine...

HOBrien
04/26/2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks again everyone for the input.