PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Help

zlwags85
04/24/2009, 12:02 PM
Hello -

I got all of the plumbing hooked up and so far there are no real leaks anywhere other than the pumps. I figured I must have been a bit too light on the teflon tape on the pumps, so I went to take the pumps out and the single union ball valves I got from FlexPVC are pieces of crap. All 3 of them leak because the ball is not truly closing. I doubt there is a way to remidy this?

If not, can I get some reccomendations on the best ball valves? Can I use sch 80 valves with the sch 40 spaflex/fittings that I have in? If so, the ones on BRS looked pretty decent for about 35$ a pop.... but I just want to get something that will work and last.

If pictures would help, I can get some up pretty quickly.

Thanks.

stugray
04/24/2009, 12:33 PM
Try these: ( on clearance )

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog_name=usplastic&category_name=31577&product_id=20098

Hayward parts have a good reputation.

Stu

coralfragger101
04/24/2009, 12:39 PM
But then you need unions as well.

Shouldn't you be looking at True Union Ball Valves to make it the least number of pieces possible?

zlwags85
04/24/2009, 12:42 PM
I think the ones Stu suggested are single unions. They look pretty darn nice.... :-)

zlwags85
04/24/2009, 01:18 PM
Alright - I called US Plastic and they are single union valves. I went ahead and ordered 3 of the 1.5" threaded versions. Pretty stellar deal considering the same brand/style true union ball valve is around 57$'s.

Thanks Stu for the suggestion.... after I get the pump hooked up again I will have some questions on how to solve the surging in my drains that I noticed when I did turn the pump on. The 2 1.5" drains were not keeping up with the Iwaki 70.... but that is another thread and another question! I will get some pictures before then.

Thanks again.

-zach

james3370
04/24/2009, 01:30 PM
the dual-union ball valves i got from lowes looked to be pretty good & the price was real good :D

zlwags85
04/24/2009, 01:39 PM
James - I have a 1" true union from lowes going to the skimmer, it was pretty nice. But, when I started to look at the bigger sizes at Lowes, they didn't seem to be as solid. I considered driving down and getting the 1.5" versions, but I settled on what Stu suggested and I'm sure for the extra few dollars a valve, I will be happy. They take up much less room then the true union BV's and I'm not a master plumber by any means.... I need all the room I could get!

Nice build thread btw. Read through some of it the other day.

Thanks much!
:-)