PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with this blue tip stag?

ptomoson
04/24/2009, 04:00 PM
Picture when I got the frag a month ago.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq9/ptomoson/bts1.jpg

Picture of it now.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq9/ptomoson/bts.jpg

Would not enough flow cause this? It was mid level and other frags around it browned out but never started bleaching like this?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Pat

Logzor
04/24/2009, 04:54 PM
In the first picture the coral does not look completely healthy. There appears to be white area in some of the crevices. It could just be the picture, though.

The second picture there is algae growing on the tip and the rest of the coral looks bleached out. Definitely slow tissue necrosis. I have only had this happen once and it was because my DKH went below 7.

Perhaps it was simply not in good shape to begin with?

Do you have your parameters handy? Double checking your calcium, alk, nitrate, and salinity might rule some things out. That coral could be particularly sensitive.

Low flow could possibly be the issue but if others are nearby and doing fine I doubt it is the problem. You never know though.

Any other information about your system would be helpful.

That can be frustrating not knowing what the problem is.

acrodave
04/24/2009, 04:55 PM
not sure what caused it.. but it looks like that one is gone..

Nanook
04/24/2009, 05:01 PM
Agree with Logzor, the first pic the frag was browned out and had a couple white areas where it was starting to bleach probably. Second pic looks like it is on its way out:(

Have you inspected for redbugs? What were the prams of the tank it came from? What are your prams? It might have just been a case of "too far gone" when you got it.

Rouselb
04/24/2009, 08:36 PM
usually when algae starts to grow on a frag, that area is dead. Now that does not mean the whole thing is dead, but that branch is. Move it to lower light and increase the flow. Like mentioned above, check all the params again.