PDA

View Full Version : Help! My light is blowing my GFCI!!

gibson981
04/24/2009, 08:32 PM
I have a 48 inch long tank, so I am running two MH bulbs. They are mogul base, 250 watts, Reeflux 20000k, run on Ice Cap electronic ballasts. They are new bulbs. It was time to replace them. Anyway, I run them on timers for about 9 hours per day. Today was only the second day for these new bulbs. I came home and everything was off because my GFCI was tripped. I unplugged everything, reset the GFCI, and started plugging things in one by one. The lights were last. As soon as I plugged in the first ballast, everything tripped again. So, I repeated the process, when I got the the ballasts, I plugged in the other one first this time. So far, so good. The second one tripped everything again. So, I repeated one more time and left that one off. I got another strip out and plugged into a different outlet and plugged the one ballast into it. The light started to come on, but I heard some sort of buzzing type noise coming from the area of the bulb, possibly from inside the socket. I unplugged and then unscrewed the bulb using a couple layers of paper towel so I would not touch it with my hands. Inspection of the bulb and socket showed everything to look very clean, dry, and intact. What could be my issue here?

gibson981
04/24/2009, 09:46 PM
just checking for replies

gibson981
04/24/2009, 10:18 PM
does anyone have any ideas?