PDA

View Full Version : How to Plumb 2 sumps?

narwal
04/26/2009, 11:43 AM
Hi,

I have a 220 gallon main tank with dual overflows and returns. Currently I have one 40 gallon Oceanic Systems trickle filter/sump. I would like to add another 40 gallon- 2 compartment sump in which I would put a skimmer and macro algae (cheato, etc.).

How would you suggest I plumb it? Should I just run each with one overflow/return or plumb the two sumps together? If so how should this be done?

aquariumclown
04/26/2009, 11:59 AM
I had a set up where 2 sumps were plumbed together. Worked fine. Just run a pipe between the 2, make sure it's plumbed low enough, at least below the running water line.

wils_25
04/29/2009, 07:04 PM
You could put your return pump in a compartment between the two sumps.

96p993
04/29/2009, 07:06 PM
I cut a hole in each of my 20 gallon (connecting points) tanks put bulkheads in each then cut some PVC to connect the 2 then made sure it didnt leak..actually pretty happy with it

narwal
04/29/2009, 07:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14899847#post14899847 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aquariumclown
I had a set up where 2 sumps were plumbed together. Worked fine. Just run a pipe between the 2, make sure it's plumbed low enough, at least below the running water line.

Thanks, but I need some more detail if you don't mind.

My plan is to have one sump with filtration and the other being a refugium. The first (main) sump has the inflow and returns. I was going to connect the two low (below the water line), and have a small pump returning water from the fuge to the main sump.

I'm looking to have a nice slow flow through the refugium.

PS- The refugium design is kind of different in that the tank is split in half lengthwise - so that there is more surface area for the flow. It will have 2 chambers (imagine the tank divided in half length wise. One section will be a DSB or mud with LR and mangroves, the other will have tumbling cheato.

What do you think?

Thanks

96p993
04/29/2009, 07:17 PM
Mine is almost setup exactly the same except I separated one of mine the other way...One side is the fuge and the other holds my topoff water for the tank..The fuge gently flows back into the sump area holding my skimmer and return equip

tkeracer619
04/29/2009, 07:53 PM
Keep them connected via one or two large pipes. If something clogs one of the overflows the second sump might overfill.

I would sell your current sump and get a larger single sump.

narwal
04/29/2009, 09:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14922619#post14922619 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tkeracer619
Keep them connected via one or two large pipes. If something clogs one of the overflows the second sump might overfill.

I would sell your current sump and get a larger single sump.

The refugium is fed by one pipe - low down on the main sump which does the filtation. If the feed gets clogged all that will happen is that the level in the refugium will go down as the pump will continue to work, but the level won't drop enough to expose the mud, sand, live rock, macro algae, etc.

The whole point of having 2 units is so that you can achieve maximum flow through the filtration side while maintaining a slow gentle flow through the refugium. In a big tank like mine (220 gallons), I can run around 2000 GPH for filtration, and about 500 GPH through the fuge - kind of the best of both worlds.

tkeracer619
04/29/2009, 10:26 PM
You asked about adding two sumps off separate drains or plumb them together. There is no real good option to regulate water coming down one overflow more then the other. If the tank is level you will get the same amount of drain water into each sump for the most part regardless of the return pumps. If you are using two return pumps in two completely independent sumps the slower one will overflow or at least drain the faster ones return chamber.

If you want separate flows through the sections your best bet is to use a large return pump such as a snapper or dart and divert some of the return water into a fuge. That water is then re-drained into your sump.

You can use two sumps but they will need to be tied together not independent and they will both get the same water flow if the overflows are level.

das75
04/30/2009, 12:05 AM
Could easily just connect the two together with aligned bulkheads and split the drains but here's another idea.

Picture shows a 20g refugium fed partial flow from one drain, then emptying into the main sump via a C to C overflow. Will also mention I've found I've gotten way better Chaeto growth in the 20g since upping the flow from ~500gph to ~800gph (added PH since picture).
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/sump_fug.jpg

narwal
04/30/2009, 07:46 AM
[i]<a href=showthread.php?I've found I've gotten way better Chaeto growth in the 20g since upping the flow from ~500gph to ~800gph (added PH since picture).
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/sump_fug.jpg [/B]

I kept my flow through the fuge very slow, but added a tiny PH and aimed it so the Chaeto actually spun around. It grew more in 2 weeks than in the 2 months before the change.

das75
04/30/2009, 08:44 AM
mine doesn't tumble but easily after pruning goes from a orange size to a basketball mass in ~3 weeks

kronan
04/30/2009, 10:14 AM
I have a dual sump system on my 265, I drilled a hole in both tanks ( a 37 gal& 25 gal) and ran a 2 inch pipe between them I also drilled a hole in the 25 for the return pump(dart) and have both overflows run into their respective sumps, the 37 has the skimmer and I partitioned them both for bio balls... works great, never had a problem,