PDA

View Full Version : DIY 200 gallon deep dimension stand help

downhillbiker
04/26/2009, 02:28 PM
I am going to start building a stand for my marineland deep dimension 200gallon and was wondering if a pressure treated 2x6 frame would be strong enough for the tank? do i need braces on the top "box" frame in addition to the outer ring? are legs in the corners enough, or do i need more.

bradbmbj
04/26/2009, 02:42 PM
I think the 2x6 would be enough, but I would screw two of them together and make a "double header" just to be sure, however I would not use pressure treated because of the chemicals that are present in the wood, just use a quality oil base paint or epoxy paint to coat regular lumber.

Rhodophyta
04/26/2009, 04:48 PM
Pressure treated wood for the stand is bad for at least two reasons. It has pressurized liquid injected into it which causes warping, twisting, and bending in excess of "regular" lumber. Using this exterior-only material inside can sicken pets and houseplants.

This link shows a photo of a stand with the front doors open, showing much less than a two by six is necessary for spanning the width of the tank.

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/Tank_deep_dimensions.htm

I would build a structural frame like this out of plywood, glue, two by fours, and a few two by sixes for the verticals. Then I'd clad it in panels to create the furniture look.

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/mcdaphnia/art_diy_stand2_03.jpg

downhillbiker
04/26/2009, 05:16 PM
So no pressure treated lumber. That is fine. I hate the finish of oil based paint, but will check into epoxy finishes. I will probably treat/seal the frame, then sheet it with plywood and trim, and then stain and seal the plywood.

Rhodophyta
04/26/2009, 06:44 PM
Oil base is hard on the nose and really not something good for inside work without great ventilation. I picked up some No VOC paint to experiment with after my last project. Because we have little grandkids, I built a base under our indoor pond so that it's now about 30" above ground level. I did it right away putting the pond on it before painting. I'm going to paint it with orandas and tropical pond plants in it. Supposed to be perfectly safe.

downhillbiker
04/26/2009, 10:49 PM
I was thinking about trying to get a smooth finish and stay away from paint all together. I was thinking of using a black stain, and then a flat/satin clear coat.

RokleM
04/27/2009, 07:36 AM
As mentioned, correct in not using pressure treated wood.

Here's the stand I built for mine (still need to skin it).

I don't have it in the picture, but there are two diagonal pieces as well.
http://mad-skillz.com/aquarium/08.27.2008-1.jpg

kcress
04/27/2009, 01:55 PM
But there's already a 'skin' in it!

chimmike
04/27/2009, 02:22 PM
garage floor type epoxy paint would work well.

noahm
04/27/2009, 07:38 PM
Depending on where you live (maybe not HI, FL etc.), any clear coat (poly, acrylic, etc ) will give you ample protection against rot and moisture uptake. Some of the epoxies are nice if you are making a waterproof tray for the bottom.

I'm just jealous you are setting up one of those DD Marineland tanks. Nice footprint.

downhillbiker
04/27/2009, 10:56 PM
thanks everyone. i am moving to utah, so it should be fairly dry and the apartment will have central a/c. i will check out the sealing options when i go get my stain. of course the people at home depot will be able to help me.

noahm, fellow oregonian, thanks. i am SUPER excited to get to set up the tank. it is my dream tank. perfect footprint, love glass over acrylic, and starfire is great!

TAB
04/28/2009, 01:04 AM
be very careful with the no VOC stuff, it does not like to be "messed with" brush marks will not flatten out like they will with oil. most of the smell from oil is the thinner not the paint. Its rather harmless to any one in good health... not great for kids of women that are prego.

szhttm
04/28/2009, 04:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14909837#post14909837 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by downhillbiker
i will check out the sealing options when i go get my stain.

Check into stains, polys, primers, and paints for boats. They should help keep your wood protected better and longer than just regular (household) products. My local Lowes carries the Rustolium brand of boat related stains, polys, varnish, primers, and paint.

Good Luck And Have Fun!!!;
:thumbsup:

downhillbiker
04/28/2009, 08:37 PM
TAB: what is VOC?

szhttm: the boat idea is great. they are waterproof, so that is the route i will go. still think stain will go into the wood with the smoothest finish though.