PDA

View Full Version : MH 2 Bulbs one Ballast?

steve_1111uk
04/26/2009, 02:41 PM
Hi have a tridonic metal halide ignitor that came of a 250w floodlight, I want to use this on my reef tank to power a custom light unit. I have a bit of a problem on my aquarium in that the front 20cm is though a wall so light coverage is difficult with an mh. Ideally I need a long thin reflector custom building so as not to waste light on the back of the wall but to make sure I get into the sides. Another option would be to use 2 lamps side by side. Can I use the one ballast to run 2 lamps either in seris or parallel? the ballast is rated at 70-400w so was thinking 2x150w

Steve

PaulErik
04/27/2009, 10:20 AM
I’m not sure which ballast it is but metal halide magnetic ballasts are usually only designed to operate one lamp and one wattage only. Each wattage lamp has a different electrical standard. You cannot run two lamps in series or parallel with a standard ballast. The starting current and ignitor will be unable to support two lamps properly. The ballast itself will state the wattage on the label. The lamp ignitor can be used with various wattage lamps.

steve_1111uk
04/27/2009, 11:36 AM
Right I was just going by what it said on the ignitor which states 70 - 400w so as it was intended for a 250w lamp looks like thats waht im stuck with.

Thanks for the info

Steve