PDA

View Full Version : How to survive s SPS tank in 3 weeks vocation

shih87
04/26/2009, 03:06 PM
Hi,

Can someone share your thoughts and/or experience how to survive a sps tank if I need to take a three weeks vocation in summer?

I usually take three weeks vocation with family, and my sister live at next block can take care my tank such as.. feeding fish, clean algae, and check if any thing go wrong, and if so, a guy from LFS can came to help for any emergency. However, this year, we decide back to Taiwan same time to visit our parents, and before I really have to bother my new friends/neighbors (my sister and I just move to our new neighborhood 18 months ago), I would like to see if I can try my best to avoid bother my neighbor.

Couple things I plan to do, but please share your thoughts...
1) Network video camera....so I can visually check if any things go wrong during my vocation.
2) Network monitoring my ReefKeeper Elite controller system
note: Not sure how it work, but will study it before my vocation coming. Please fill me here more if you have experience of using DA controller.
3) Instead feed my fish frozen food daily, will use auto feeder with dry food
4) I am not too worry about top off water since I have auto top-off water system and a tank can hold 40 gallon fresh water
5) remove filter sock for my sump

Any suggestion?

thanks,

shih87

mflamb
04/26/2009, 03:32 PM
I take a 2 week vacation every summer. Two local reefers take care of my system. I wouldn't consider leaving for even a long weekend without a high quality reefer checking my tank every day.

SDguy
04/26/2009, 03:54 PM
I agree, I would want to leave my tank wihtout at least someone to peek in every day or two to make sure everything looks alright.

Fsurocks99
04/26/2009, 04:34 PM
I would leave it with someone you trust (and know what they are doing) taking care of it. If you are anything like me, setting up a network video camera would hurt the vacation experience. I'd be lookin at my tank constantly.

shih87
04/26/2009, 09:51 PM
All fair and valid advices above.... thanks!
Having a trusted local reefer is the best solution that I agree. However, my wife does not allow me to have local reefer into our house without some one she trust around (many reasons behind, but I complete agree points she made). That is why in the past we only call local reefer when my sister around.

Except the best solution (local reefer), any other suggestion?

thanks,

shih87

Reefer08
04/26/2009, 10:34 PM
If you have a reef keeper elite with the net capability, you should be fine.

Do you have a calcium reactor?
You'll need something to keep your alkalinity up and stable.

If your skimmer is external id worry aboutt it overflowing. If internal i wouldn't worry too much. If external place a float valve inside of the cup and hook it up to your reef keeper!

kruxy
04/26/2009, 10:39 PM
think about cutting your feedings back by 50%. the fish won't starve, and it greatly increases the chances of coming back to good water quality and a living tank.

shih87
04/27/2009, 12:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14903069#post14903069 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefer08
If you have a reef keeper elite with the net capability, you should be fine.

Do you have a calcium reactor?
You'll need something to keep your alkalinity up and stable.

If your skimmer is external id worry aboutt it overflowing. If internal i wouldn't worry too much. If external place a float valve inside of the cup and hook it up to your reef keeper!

I have recently post my equipment list on another thread. Here it is and yes, it is a calcium reactor in sump.
============
Tank - Standard AllGlass 120g tanks 24x48x24
Canopy - 20" high with 2 4" fan
Light - Icecap MH 400 x 2 and 4 x2 24" 25 w fluorescent strip light
Current - Tunze 6201 x 2 and 7095 controller
Return pump - ReeFlo Snapper
Current - Tunze 6201 x 2 and 7095 controller
Skimmer - Deltec Ap701 with Eheim 1260
Calcium reactor - Korallin C3002
Phosphate reactor =Deltec FR 509
Pump for Calcium reactor and Phosphate reactor - Eheim 1250
Chiller - JBJ DBA-150 (1/5 HP)
Controller - DA ReefKeeper Elite v2
============

thanks,

shih87

shih87
04/27/2009, 12:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14903098#post14903098 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kruxy
think about cutting your feedings back by 50%. the fish won't starve, and it greatly increases the chances of coming back to good water quality and a living tank.

Good point. Will do it.

thanks,

shih87