PDA

View Full Version : Documentary on sharks - finning

mskurdah
04/26/2009, 09:43 PM
Not totally reef related, but I saw this documentary and thought it was really interesting for people interested in ocean life:

http://www.sharkwater.com/

Completely changed my beliefs on sharks.

The practice of killing sharks for their fins = totally disgusting.

Travisxrs05
05/21/2009, 08:04 PM
You should see some of the other disgusting things we humans do to the creatures of the sea. In Japan they actually harvest dolphins, trap them in big nets and then fire harpoons off the deck killing everything in the nets. We do some very disgusting things to animals, I saw a whole video in my oceanography class on how were killing the oceans and it showed me some horrible things that we do to the ocean.

Beaun
05/22/2009, 11:08 AM
Finning is one of the worst practices out there. But people are conserving sharks more and more. Japan seems to be one of the biggest "culprits" of shark harvest.

ctenophors rule
05/22/2009, 06:40 PM
their is an intersting book out, may even be the people who made the documentary.

it is called " shark water" and it is by rob stewart ( or somehing like that)

anyway he discusses how in the carribean the government is paid of by the finners, who build hospitals and roads, so that the government will turn a blind eye to the blatant finning.

dude from whale wars was their first, before being threatened with death.

ctenophors rule
05/22/2009, 06:43 PM
yup thats the fill to acompany the book, just watched the trailor.

kolamp
05/24/2009, 10:35 PM
Ive saw a documentary on discovery channel about shark finning & it was so horibble...i believe d biggest culprit is Taiwan not Japan

FishBait
05/28/2009, 05:08 PM
Manta rays are next on the menu. As shark populations dwindle, and regulations are tightening up to help reduce shark finning, eastern countries are now looking to manta rays. Not only their fins, but gill rakers are are harvested for yet another "ancient medicinal ingredient."

Madfronter
06/10/2009, 01:02 PM
Have you guys seen Whale Wars on TV?

Rossini
06/11/2009, 04:32 AM
Yes, Whale Wars is good. :cool: