PDA

View Full Version : Prazi and Internal parasites

rsantangelo3@co
04/27/2009, 01:11 AM
Ok, have done my second dose of prazi and a few fish are still skinny and are still pooping stringy poop so my question is this. Will prazi kill internal worms? Been treating with copper at stable levels and prazi twice and still no changes to anything. So what other options for internals, thanks

Mentat
04/27/2009, 05:22 AM
From this and your other thread appears you are using 2 different treatments together. Did you research how copper and prazipro interact together before combining this treatment? Some meds interfere with each other or can become toxic when used simultaneously in an aquarium.

rsantangelo3@co
04/27/2009, 10:11 AM
yes- no adverse effects

barbianj
04/27/2009, 12:59 PM
Did you take your carbon out?

Shake the Prazi very well?

MatthewLaw
04/27/2009, 03:59 PM
should the protein skimmer be on at all during prazi treatment?

Mentat
04/27/2009, 04:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14906993#post14906993 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MatthewLaw
should the protein skimmer be on at all during prazi treatment?
Hikari recommends to remove activated carbon, continue filtration, and to stop UV sterilization and protein skimming during treatment.

MatthewLaw
04/27/2009, 04:44 PM
i saw that on the bottle but wasn't sure if the skimmer should be off for the WHOLE treatment or only a few hours after the prazi was administered.

i was also wondering about the comment that mentions foaming

Kieth71
04/27/2009, 05:03 PM
The biggest thing with prazi is as mentioned above shake the bottle.If you dont shake it you will end up with either to high a dose or also to low a dose.I usually treat for two 5-7 day treatments and if you change water you have to redose for the amount you take out.I recomend a 20-30% water change between the two treatments and make sure you dont run a skimmer or have carbon running or it will remove it.

limitdown
04/28/2009, 05:36 AM
Copper and Prazi-Pro work well together. I use them on every single incoming fish while they're in quarantine.

You need to turn off the skimmer when you use prazi-pro or else the skimmer will go crazy and overflow. After treatment, change out 50% of the water twice, then turn the skimmer on to remove the remainder of the prazi.

I've used Prazi successfully for a few years, but have switched over to another medication made by Jungle Labs. It's called "Tank Buddies", "Parasite Clear". It also contains Praziquantel (the active ingredient in Prazi-Pro). In addition, it also contains metronidazole, acriflavine and diflubenzaron. I've found that the combination to be very effective against all kinds of different parasites.

For internal parasites I use a medicated food also made by Jungle Labs. The food contains the same medications as above, but it works better for internal parasites since the fish actually ingest it. Some fish do not like the taste/smell and refuse to eat it, so I soak it in garlic overnight to improve the taste for them.

MatthewLaw
04/28/2009, 08:28 AM
thanks for the help with the prazi!

hottuna
04/29/2009, 05:15 AM
TRY DE-LOS by nat'l fish pharmacy...this stuff really works on internal as well as external parasites....
tough on some fish though ...use with caution ...