PDA

View Full Version : Using GFO in a Reactor

gdavis17
04/27/2009, 07:53 AM
I just got a TLF Phosban Reactor and some GFO from bulk reef supply. Can someone give me some recommendations on the setup? I have a 37 gal cube with a 10 gal sump. Should I put the reactor intake in the same chamber as the skimmer intake, or after it? How much GFO should I put in the reactor? Should I rinse it before putting it in? Do I need to run the reactor in a bucket of water, after I rinse the GFO, before I put it in the tank? Thanks alot for all the help.

bimmerzs
04/27/2009, 09:13 AM
Hi,

I rinse the gfo several times to remove the dust prior to reinstalling in my sump. I don't think it matters where it's placed, it's more important to adjust the flow so that the media just starts to tumble at the surface and the effleunt out measures 0 ppm for phospahtes. I would start with 1" of media in the reactor for that size tank.

Cheers,

gdavis17
04/27/2009, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the comments. So you don't think I have to run it in a bucket first, just rinse out the GFO several times before putting it in the reactor. Do I just keep it until I start to get a phosphate reading, or when do I know when to change it?

cerobbins
04/27/2009, 10:10 AM
You do not want GFO to tumble. It will break apart and get blown out of the reactor. Most filter medias do work best when tumbling, however, GFO is the exception. I would run your GFO between two sponges to keep it in place.

95accord
04/27/2009, 10:17 AM
read the instructions that came with the TLF reactor. everything is explained clear as day. from how to dial it in to how much media per gal to put.

gdavis17
04/27/2009, 11:02 AM
The unit came from someone on RC and didn't come with instructions. The instructions I got from the TLF website says to use between 2"-5" of GFO and to tumble it. I also don't see where it says how often to change it. It says to put one sponge on the bottom (above the lower dispersion plate) and the other above the top dispersion plate. I says to not trap the GFO between the sponges, but to let it slightly tumble. Is this correct?

Justdrew
04/27/2009, 12:07 PM
You really only want the top layer to lightly perculate. You don't want the entire bed tumbling. Check out the instruction videos for GFO reactors at www.bulkreefsupply.com

Later
Drew

mustang51js
04/27/2009, 01:34 PM
most people say to change it monthly

mnml
04/27/2009, 03:18 PM
I started out with 1 gram per gallon with the HC GFO from BRS. 8 grams is about 1 tablespoon of this stuff. You can gradually increase if needed. I change mine out every month. I see a noticeable difference in the amount of algae after a few weeks. Watch your alk as it may drop a bit.

gdavis17
04/28/2009, 06:02 AM
Thanks alot for all the info I just didn't want to do something incorrectly and have an adverse outcome.

DarG
04/28/2009, 06:24 AM
Same as Thin Crust ... I use one gram per gallon and change it about monthly. I run about 2 or 3 gallons of ro/di water through it to flush the media until the output runs clear and then hook up the input and output tubing and pump and thats it. Set the flow with the valve so that the top layer of the GFO in the reactor is LIGHTLY "boiling ... and thats it. You dont want the media flying around in the reactor. Just the top layer of it lightly moving.

The media can be good for 2 or 3 months, depending on phosphates in the tank and on how much media you use. There are all types of opinions on this stuff. Some use 3 grams per gallon and change less often. I have stuck with 1 gram per gallon and just change every month - 6 weeks. If phosphates are an issue already, before using the media, I believe it is recommended to start out with a small amount of media and gradually increase.

There are some good articles on the web. Google GFO use in aquariums or reducing phosphates in reef tank with GFO etc.