PDA

View Full Version : Ignigtor or Capacitor Problem? or Other?

crazzyreefer
04/27/2009, 11:43 AM
I have a blue line Sunlight Supply ballast, it has a Capacitor # 7c200p33r and a Advanced Lamp Ignitor LI522H5m, the issue Im having, the bulb was lit and running fine then the light went off while I was looking at it... when I went to turn it back on only a faint arc can be seen in the bulb for a minute or so but it dosnt light, it never lights up half way melting the mercury.. Not sure which component is the problem. I would search the system but its not 2am LOL... anyone have the same problems? or know which component isnt working? it is the transformer? I have tried different bulbs with the same results...

Thanks.....

swannking
04/27/2009, 11:58 AM
I bet it is the capacitor. They have limited life-span.

125G Reefer
04/27/2009, 01:38 PM
Swap bulbs, it may be the bulb. If not the bulb next is the ignitor, then the capacitor, then the ballast.

PaulErik
04/27/2009, 02:02 PM
From the parts you list it appears to be an Advance 250-watt ANSI M80 HQI ballast which SLS used to use in the HQI 250-watt ballasts. The capacitor is most likely not the problem as the Advance M80 (HX-HPF) ballast uses the capacitor for power factor correction only. The capacitor in this circuit has nothing to do with lamp performance unlike some other ballast circuits. The ignitor could be the problem. What is strange is the light just turned off. A failed ignitor just causes unreliable lamp starting. A failed ignitor will also not generate any sound from the ballast and ignitor while no lamp is installed. If you hear a buzzing sound without a lamp installed it indicates the ignitor is working. You should check all connections are good and inspect the lamp bases and sockets for signs of discoloration or deformed contacts.

crazzyreefer
04/27/2009, 03:21 PM
I want to thank everyone, problem solved, It was strange, that the light just turned off, but one of the wires near the socket came out of the wing nut, this caused only half of a circuit. The odd thing was that there was power going still to the bulb. It is now working as it should...I believe the power of the surge tank rattled the wire lose, and yes it sound and acts like a ocean wave crashing against the rocks... gives the entire house a lite shake... again thank you for your time and insight...

Thank you...