PDA

View Full Version : Tissue Recession

Rizup
04/27/2009, 06:47 PM
If a SPS coral is losing/has lost tissue from not properly acclimating them to lighting (too much light), is it possible for them to regrow the tissue, or is one better to try and frag the parts that are still healthy before it is too late? Thanks for the input.

Mike

Rizup
04/28/2009, 07:28 AM
Anyone?

faze07hd
04/28/2009, 09:39 AM
I dont know if the lighting would do that, IF all of your params are perfect then, i would say its the lighting...

to answer your question, if the bad tissue is spreading, you might want to frag them. But if its just stationary or moving very very slowly, Try to figure out what the problem is. If it is the light, Move the coral down or put it in some shade.

Good luck homie.

Rizup
04/28/2009, 09:43 AM
The coral was moved to the sand as soon as I noticed, unfortunately a lot of damage was already done. It is in a shaded area now and I will see how it looks tonight when I get home. Is there any chance for the tissue to grow back or is it gone for good? Thanks.

Mike

landlord
04/28/2009, 09:53 AM
If the inital problem that caused the recession is no longer present, then I would say "Yes" it is possible that the exposed skeleton can get reincrusted. From experience I have only had this happen with encrusting montiporas (my Tyree Setosa for example). On my stags, milles I have found that coralline usually invades the skeletal section that got exposed. I have a dead patch on a green slimer that got covered in algae after a recession. The possibilities are endless.

Rizup
04/28/2009, 09:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14911840#post14911840 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by landlord
If the inital problem that caused the recession is no longer present, then I would say "Yes" it is possible that the exposed skeleton can get reincrusted. From experience I have only had this happen with encrusting montiporas (my Tyree Setosa for example). On my stags, milles I have found that coralline usually invades the skeletal section that got exposed. I have a dead patch on a green slimer that got covered in algae after a recession. The possibilities are endless.

Makes sense. I will see how it goes and make sure I am more careful with acclimation next time. Thanks.

Mike

landlord
04/28/2009, 10:30 AM
You're definitely on the right track. Once you figure out what caused the recession you can do your best to prevent it from happening. In my case the recessions had nothing to do with acclimation. My issues were caused from multiple accidental kalk overdoses. In any case resolving the initial problem is paramount to prevent future damage.

One more thing - After a couple years you'll have huge colonies anyways and a little bit of battle damage is character building for the coral :) IMHO

Kurt

Rizup
04/28/2009, 11:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14912111#post14912111 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by landlord
You're definitely on the right track. Once you figure out what caused the recession you can do your best to prevent it from happening. In my case the recessions had nothing to do with acclimation. My issues were caused from multiple accidental kalk overdoses. In any case resolving the initial problem is paramount to prevent future damage.

One more thing - After a couple years you'll have huge colonies anyways and a little bit of battle damage is character building for the coral :) IMHO

Kurt

I'm pretty sure it was too much light, as only the one coral seems to have lost tissue. I am hoping that it survives, and if it does you are certainly right. He'll have a story to tell. :) Thanks again.

Mike