PDA

View Full Version : i think my 2 balck and white Ocellaris are about to breed

Chipie
04/27/2009, 08:29 PM
Hi,
have 2 couples of Black and white Ocellaris(different tanks) and one of those couples are acting weird the last few days.

First the female is getting much larger that she was and keeps begging me for food during the day, something she has never done before. She usually did that in the morning and evenings when i usually feed them.

Both clowns have been cleaning a rock under the anemone they both host and are doing it more and more. Tonight i've even seen both fish make the same move has laying eggs on that spot.
The are a lot more active than usuall.

I've never had clownfish lay eggs so i'm not sure that what i'm seeing is clowns about to lay eggs soon. Oh i have to add that they are both at least 1.5 years old(maybe more for the female)

What do you think?

rkelman
04/28/2009, 07:27 PM
It sounds alot like spawning behavior to me.

Chipie
04/28/2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks rkelman. Is there something i should be doing to help them get ready ? Should i be feeding the female more than usual ? I've been givin them some mysys shrimp more often than usual.

rkelman
04/28/2009, 07:54 PM
Feeding the mysis is good. Yes feed them a couple times a day. I would also crank up the heat some. B&W's like it hot. My reef stays at a minimum 80degrees.

Chipie
04/28/2009, 08:05 PM
Ok thanks. What is the hottest your tank get?
Even if they lay eggs soon, i won't be trying to raise some frys right away. (I'll probably try later on) I'll let them get the hang of it :) I just want to make sure they have all they need without overfeeding.

Oh and by the way, i read you thread on Aquarium pros about you raising frys. Very interesting.
Thanks again