PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a Sundial Pendant on the tank instead of suspending it. Any chance?

codyjp
04/28/2009, 01:23 AM
I really like the looks of the Current Sundial pendant but I really really don't want to hang it from my roof. Has anybody had any luck with building legs to mount these on top of the rim of a tank? I have a 20" wide tank that it would need to sit on. At what distance would it need be place off the water? I would also like for it to sit as low as possible to help hide the open tank look.

Without seeing one in person my only though would to be to fit the sides with bent pieces of aluminum and the rivet it to the pendant. I have access to friends with cool tools to build this type of thing for me if need be.

Thanks!

dragonette
05/03/2009, 09:06 AM
check out the lamp tree made by zero edge. Alot of people are making things similar to this.

Im waiting on my new custom cube (coming next weekend) and Im thinking of using a sundial or sunpod over it, but Ill probably do some sort of suspension system rather than placing it on top of the tank. It kills the cleanliness of the tank when a lamp is sitting on the top.

... In my opinion...

Good Luck!!
Jess

cherubfish pair
05/03/2009, 05:51 PM
I know it looks bad, but you could place eggcrate (light diffuser) over the tank and set the lights on it. Just temporarily though until you find something else.

ReneX
05/03/2009, 06:46 PM
I'm not sure I would use eggcrate if I were you. That sundial pendant has got to be pretty heavy and probably kicks out a lot of heat. I wouldn't trust that it wouldn't melt or weaken the light diffuser and fall into the tank or start a fire.

arc eye
05/19/2009, 09:51 PM
the sundial real heavy..............definitely would not suspend it on eggcrate