PDA

View Full Version : "cooking" fresh water tufa rock

khaosinc
04/28/2009, 01:30 AM
For the sump on my soon to be here tank, I'm tearing downsizing my 300 gallon African Cichlid tank in to a mixed aggressive 180 gallon mess with some other fish I have. I'm well aware it will be overcrowded but there will be a lot of territory to fight over. All fish are acclimated to the same PH (and the fact that everyone keeps successfully spawning says they like it). My intention is to re-home most of these fish as soon as I can find decent homes, and keep the fish I've had for way to many years, or who's personalities/histories means they deserve a long and happy life here (and given my track record, as long as the tank holds out... everyone likes to have babies). Until then 2 FX5 canisters should keep the water decent.

My question however is the couple hundred pounds of tufa rock I lovingly sculpted years ago. I want to turn it in to live rock. My intention is to toss it in an old pre formed pond liner w/ saltwater, add some extra live rock after a week or so, and change the water with my water changes as I cycle my new tank . My thought is after a couple of months, it should be good to go (assuming the tests agree). I'm also planning on hitting everything with the pressure washer before I add the salt water.

Anyone's experience or knowledge say otherwise?

RandalB
04/28/2009, 03:58 AM
I've never bothered cleaning it unless it was green or treated with copper... and I've used hundreds of pounds of it.

RandalB

khaosinc
04/28/2009, 11:10 AM
some of it is green w/ algea never any copper in that tank.