PDA

View Full Version : Ocellaris Clownfish sleeping

ilikethesea
04/28/2009, 06:41 AM
At night my Ocellaris Clownfish hang out at the top of the tank on there sides. In the day time they swim around like normal. Is this normal behavior for my fish? I assume I killing them some how but I am not sure what the problem is.

Will

jusn317
04/28/2009, 06:48 AM
It's normal. My pair will do this every night when there isn't an anemone in the tank. Occasionally have even had one of them end up in the overflow. Guess the current just carries him in there when he's resting.

mhosts
04/28/2009, 06:52 AM
Same here...

My ocellaris pair rest right next to the overflow. Had to cover it with eggcrate to keep them from taking a ride down to the sump.

My Pink Skunk clowns however, love sleeping at the very bottom of the tank basically lying in the substrate.

As soon as the lights come on they are active as ever though.

I've never had an nem in the tank before so I'll be curious to see what happens when I get my first one.

MileHighFish
04/28/2009, 07:03 AM
I have 3, two host in my anemones and look super comfy, the 3rd one doesnt host and sleeps in one of my bracket that holds my seio. Its funny how habitual fish are i have had these clowns for about a year and a half and they always sleep in the same spot.

ilikethesea
04/28/2009, 07:07 AM
Hey Mile High Fish can I add you to my friends list? I would like to pm you from time to time with questions since we both live in NM.

geonator
04/28/2009, 07:07 AM
mine does the same.... sleeps right on top by my powerhead

MileHighFish
04/28/2009, 07:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14910875#post14910875 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ilikethesea
Hey Mile High Fish can I add you to my friends list? I would like to pm you from time to time with questions since we both live in NM.

Sure, no worries I'm more then happy to help anytime I can.. Greg

snorvich
04/28/2009, 07:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14910850#post14910850 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MileHighFish
I have 3, two host in my anemones and look super comfy, the 3rd one doesnt host and sleeps in one of my bracket that holds my seio. Its funny how habitual fish are i have had these clowns for about a year and a half and they always sleep in the same spot.

three is an unstable number. The lone ranger is avoiding harassment by the two that paired off. Eventually it is likely that the pair will harass it until it jumps or they kill it.

MileHighFish
04/28/2009, 08:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14911072#post14911072 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
three is an unstable number. The lone ranger is avoiding harassment by the two that paired off. Eventually it is likely that the pair will harass it until it jumps or they kill it.

I started with 4 but one didn't make it, that was over a year ago and there hasn't been an issue. I know this isn't the norm, but I'm not going to change anything at this point. The two that are hooked up don't bother the lone ranger, but he/she does seem lonely.