PDA

View Full Version : High temps in my BioCube

firebirdude
04/28/2009, 01:26 PM
I have a 29g Biocube that I've had setup a little over 6 months now. It has the 4.36 lighting upgrade from nanotuners. Not much in it. 1 1/2" sand bed, 20lbs live rock, a clown, couple small zoa frags, and a clean up crew consisting of several style snails, blue legs, and a cleaner shrimp. And a lot of basic hair algae. (not bryopsis style)

The above listed is really all I've been able to keep alive for the past 6 months. Got most of them towards the beginning of my ownership and most have done well. Everything since then has not. I've bought several other fish/inverts that seem to do fine for about a week, then I find dead. (Two clowns, lawnmower blenny, small purple urchin, all I can think of now)

I've been battling the hair algae for months now and losing. Using only DI water and running two phosphate removers. Water changes are regular and verified that nirate levels are zilch. I've shortened the lighting cycle down to 4 1/2 hours a day for the last 2 months probably. I removed the heater from the aquarium about a month after owning it because it was clearly not needed. I have checked my tank temps every now and again with a glass/mercury style thermometer. They've always been in the 83 range during the day and about 80 during the night. Ok, but a little on the warm side. Well today I checked after the lights had been on all day. 85 degrees. This is too hot. This is really my only guess to why a lot of my livestock has died. This is really why I'm making this topic. The hair algae sucks bad, but a whole nother can of worms me thinks. True, the temp is high, but also the temp swing from 85 to 80 every single day might be something too. I'm really not keen on the idea of buying a chiller for this little tank that was suppose to be something small and fun. They're expensive and invasive.

Your guys thoughts? I've thought about ditching the Biocube hood and going with an open top lighting option. Again, expensive and allows fish to jump out. (My single clown has already jumped into the rear compartment once) Evap will obviously increase, but I think this will help the temps quite a bit. Thoughts? Thoughts? Thoughts?

nanojg
04/28/2009, 01:31 PM
Do you still have the stock pump? what about other pumps/powerheads.

If you have the stock pump and switch it out to an mj900 (only 8.5 watts) that would help with your heat issue.

hotrod797
04/28/2009, 02:05 PM
I have mine open top with a 150w sunpod, I have no heat issues, I replace 1/3 gallon of water everyday, but my coral does great with that light!!

seaworldkid1
05/01/2009, 03:43 PM
bump

firebirdude
05/01/2009, 03:53 PM
I have switched between the stock pump and a MJ1200 pump while trying to watch the temp. They're about the same. I also have a K1 in the display.

I've thought about what light I would get if I went open top. The sunpod does seem to be a very popular choice. I think T5's might give me about the same growth with less heat though.

nanojg
05/01/2009, 04:02 PM
You will probably lose 2-4 degrees if you switch to the MJ900, I did

basser1
05/01/2009, 08:48 PM
I have a BC29 and I have the nanotuners 150 watt MH upgrade. To keep my water cool I open both the front and rear lids and keep them open. Ambient room temp also plays a part. I keep my house at 74 degrees.

I replaced my stock powerhead with a Rio 6HF pump, as strong as a maxijet 1200 and less heat.

Some folks will use fans blowing across the surface to help in cooling temps. Good Luck!

firebirdude
05/02/2009, 08:41 AM
Thank you very much for your replies. Question for you guys.... how did you know what pumps to buy that would produce less heat? Did you just look at the amperage draw?

Also, I'm running the sapphire skimmer in the middle chamber. Obviously this adds to the heat too. Think I would be better off ditching the skimmer and running purely a chemical filtration system/tray setup back there? Or just cheato? Obviously less heat, but then I lose my skimmer.:(

neutrl
05/02/2009, 09:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14937241#post14937241 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by firebirdude
Thank you very much for your replies. Question for you guys.... how did you know what pumps to buy that would produce less heat? Did you just look at the amperage draw?

The wattage is usually a good indication on the amount of heat it will give out.

firebirdude
05/02/2009, 12:33 PM
I figured that as a round about way. Efficiency would play a role into how well that wattage is turned into output though.

basser1
05/02/2009, 10:00 PM
Which sapphire skimmer do you have? If its' the new re-circulating model, the 2 pumps together have only 11 watts total. I don't think this would be enough to be noticeable.

Have you tried raising both lids? Made a difference for me! ;)

firebirdude
05/03/2009, 12:48 AM
Yes. It's their newest one. And hey, 11 watts is 11 watts. That's just about as much as a replacement main pump would use. :)

No I haven't tried running the lids open. I have very little livestock, but have already had a jumper into the rear chamber.