PDA

View Full Version : Just got my RO/DI

blennymower
04/28/2009, 05:17 PM
I just received my RO/DI unit from bulk reef supply, and boy is it a nice looking unit! got it will all the add ons and it was the best price.

I added a Dual TDS meter, but they forgot to add it, so i called them and they immediately shipped one to me. I called again and they told me they didn't have any of the DM-1 TDS meters so they sent me the DM-2 commercial meter! :D

Great service and product

So here is my question: One of my biggest worries was that I would end up having to buy a booster pump because of low pressure, no need, the gauge is reading 68 psi! :p So is this good? (minimum they say should be 50psi.

THE ROOK
04/28/2009, 05:30 PM
Yes, your pressure is good.. I also like BRS's products & service.

blennymower
04/28/2009, 06:31 PM
Yea, seeing that I have high psi I'm going to take advantage and when the time comes to replace the RO membrane I will upgrade to a 100gpd which require a minimum of 60psi

becact
04/28/2009, 08:07 PM
Don't forget one of your dual TDS meters should read right before the DI (after the RO, so you know when to change the membranes), and the other should be after the DI (so you know when to change the resin). When I got mine I put one of the leads on the actual input water, not very helpful lol. Maybe you knew this already, though.

blennymower
04/28/2009, 10:13 PM
not actually. I was planning on placing it before the RO and after the DI. But your suggestion is much more helpful.

becact
04/28/2009, 11:00 PM
Yeah, if you know when your RO membranes are going bad, you can save money on DI resin by not wasting it with bad membranes. It is cool to know your input TDS (mine is about 135;)), but once you know it's really not any help to monitor it continuously.

blennymower
04/29/2009, 06:43 AM
As far as containment. I'm planning on placing the RO/DI in the back of my house and holding the water in a container. Is that alright? I'm worried about it getting contaminated.

becact
04/29/2009, 01:12 PM
Some containers can leech chemicals. Make sure you thoroughly wash whatever container you are using to wash off the mold release agents from the factory. Use it as your container for a while, and check the TDS of the water periodically after stirring. If it stays at 0 you should be safe. If not, change out the container.

blennymower
04/29/2009, 08:11 PM
how do I know if the container does not leech any chemicals?

becact
04/29/2009, 10:23 PM
I just told you, check the TDS of the held water after it has been in the container for a few days :) I'm not sure if all chemicals will measure on a TDS meter, though, so be wary.

Buckeye Hydro
04/30/2009, 04:13 AM
Be careful about placing the system outdoors. Bright light encourages algae growth inside the housings and degrades the plastics.

Russ

THE ROOK
04/30/2009, 06:28 AM
The gray Brute trash cans sold at HD/Lowes are "food" rated. They come in a few sizes. Very popular & safe for water storage. I use two myself.