PDA

View Full Version : derasa clams

fuzzman
03/12/2003, 04:07 PM
i am open to criticism and have a often asked question. i have a 20 gallon tank with a 96 watt power quad about 2 inches off the top of the tank. the temp stays at about 80 degrees. i am wondering if i could keep a derasa clam in this tank. the tank has a sand bottom and has a few mushrooms and polyps in it. any help would be great!!

fuzzman
03/12/2003, 07:49 PM
or maybe a Squamosa Clam? i am thinking i probably can but looking around there are so many different opinions. the tank parameters stay very stable and i am always around the tank to do maintenance.

crgeltn
03/12/2003, 09:16 PM
A squamosa sould be fine in that tank with PC lighting. Anything else would need more light. If you keep your water parameters good and you feed regularly it should do fine. The only problem I can see is that it will eventually outgrow the tank. Great excuse to upgrade to a bigger tank. If you do decide to get one make sure it is around 3 or 4 inches in size and healthy. Anything smaller will be harder to keep and less tolerant of water parameter changes which can happen pretty fast in a 20gal. BTW I also only use DT's Phytoplankton! Not a commercial but I have had nothing but good luck with it. Good Luck and hope my 2 pennies help!

:rollface:

Peabody
03/13/2003, 09:17 PM
I agree. Squamosa is a good choice for you. Get one 3 inches or larger if it's your first clam.
Best of luck :)