PDA

View Full Version : pH low from RO/DI?

RBirns
04/29/2009, 10:28 AM
I have been using Oceanic salt for years and have always had a consistent 8.2 pH. Recently my pH has dropped to 7.8. Perhaps not coincidentally, I also began using RO/DI instead of tap (yeah, I know) over the past winter. RO unit is from Bulk Reef Supply, if that matters. Could the use of pure RO result in a lower pH when mixed with my salt? Any suggestions? FOWLR tank, if that matters.

builderguy
04/29/2009, 11:06 AM
I've been wondering this too.

My pH is low without dosing Kalk and I've wondered about the RO topoff water.

Paco
04/29/2009, 11:47 AM
RO water has basically no pH of its own because it has no ions in it (Deionized!), so it will take on a pH based on almost any contaminants added to it, like sticking your hand in the water, or any tiny residue in the container you put it into to measure.

Much more likely that you simply have more CO2 in your house, and by extension, your water. Try aerating a cup of it outside for 12 hours and see if the pH goes up.

Hope this helps.

RBirns
04/29/2009, 11:56 AM
so if that's the case, I should stop exhaling indoors?

Paco
04/29/2009, 12:08 PM
Yes, get a snorkel and route it out a window. Do it for your dog and kids, as well as the spouse. In my case, routing the wife's snorkel outside means routing the yelling about my tank outside, too. It's worked wonders. :lol:

Anemonebuff
04/29/2009, 04:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14919543#post14919543 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Paco
Yes, get a snorkel and route it out a window. Do it for your dog and kids, as well as the spouse. In my case, routing the wife's snorkel outside means routing the yelling about my tank outside, too. It's worked wonders. :lol:

But then global warming will increase because you are funnelling it all outside.

Paco
04/29/2009, 05:08 PM
That's why I don't exercise. Makes heat and more CO2.