PDA

View Full Version : Angel for 135g mixed sps tank

Gig 'em
04/29/2009, 05:01 PM
I lost my flame angel a while ago and am looking to get a new angel for my tank. I think I may want to get a larger angel though since I've upgraded to a larger tank. A local fish store has a juvi queen angel for sale, but I'm not sure if it would do well in my tank, or if it does it will devastate my sps and anemone... Does anyone have experience with this fish in a reef tank? I'm also considering a regal angel. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

tcmfish
04/29/2009, 05:49 PM
The regal would be a much better choice. Queens are notorious for devastating reefs.

Others choices could include, a goldflake, flagfin, bandit, any genicanthus, majestic, scribbled, personifer, bluespot, or any of the similar.

Gig 'em
04/29/2009, 06:12 PM
ok cool. Thanks

DamnPepShrimp
04/29/2009, 08:15 PM
I have a queen in with some softies, I have seen a queen in a SPS reef before as well. I would look into a genicanthus species angelfish. Love the bellus and watanabei angels.

Gig 'em
04/29/2009, 09:16 PM
I heard that the genicanthus species are difficult to keep alive. Is that true?

DamnPepShrimp
04/30/2009, 08:42 AM
I think it depends on collection practices. I'd say no harder than a regal angel. If you get on of the deeper water ones, make sure it is swimming properly because a lot of times they have swim bladder problems.

Earl111
04/30/2009, 08:49 AM
I just recently lost my queen after 6 yrs. The only issue I had was when I put a stalk of xenia in there. She ate it in minutes like it was nori. also had some zoos dissapear but never actually saw here eating them. She was pretty much a model citizen the whole time. Got her at about 2" and she gren to about 6". I kept her fed well. 2xs per day most of her life , reduced to 1xs about a year ago due to algae issues. Get them small and keep them fed but it's still a crap shoot, better off with one of the ones above

Gig 'em
04/30/2009, 02:38 PM
Yeah I have a lot of softies and polyps in my reef too so I imagine the queen would tear that up. The queen I saw at the lfs was nipping all the time at the glass trying to get what little algae there was which I imagine suggests it is a nipper, that or just hasn't been fed much. I looked at Lamrack's today at a different store, but I think I want an angel with more color.

Earl111
04/30/2009, 02:41 PM
i've had all kinds of other softies though, leathers, frogs, torches,open brains. it was only the xenia