PDA

View Full Version : BTA not normal

cmejaf30
04/29/2009, 07:35 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced the phenomenon of their BTA going from full, lively, and vibrant to small, shriveled, and contracted. I'm not sure what has been going on but my BTA has not been acting "normal." It used to be "full" and large however the last couple months (4+) it has not been acting normal. I used to be feeding it 1x per week with a good piece of shrimp. Then, for some reason, it stopped taking the food and gradually started to recede in size and fullness. I haven't fed it in at least a month, because when I do it doesn't even take a piece of food. The two Perc's that I have still call it home, but the BTA is just not normal. Nothing has changed in the tank, however the water quality has. Before this, I was using RO/DI water from the local aquaria store. However, since then, that store (unfortunately) had a major fire and lost everything. It has since re-opened, but they have not re-opened an aquatic area. Because of this and other factors, I have not invested in a good RO/DI unit and have just been using conditioned tap water (I know, I know...major no-no). Could this be the root of the problem? Any other issues? It's still attached to rock and has not re-located...I'm at a loss for words!!...

candeewolf
05/01/2009, 02:20 PM
I believe it is. I had an tank emergency once and needed water, but I get mine from a pure water store that was closed at the time. I used about a half a gallon of tap water and my anemones showed their discomfort by moving and shriveling over the next week. As long as your parameters are in check, should be fine. Just go back to pure(r) water.

dc
05/02/2009, 05:57 AM
I'm guessing it all depends on what's in your tap water. I've been using tap water since I started and my anemones are thriving.