PDA

View Full Version : Golden Rhamboid Question!

jc16
04/30/2009, 12:37 AM
Hello i just got a Male golden rhamboid he is fairy small but has some great coloring!! he's really yellow and really dark blue. He was the smallest one but the most colorful would his colors fade as he gets larger? I also really want to get him a female too but my LFS only has 1 and it's larger than he is would it be a problem putting them together? or would the female dominate the male and turn male then vice versa? Also for all your wrasse lovers do you guys Qt your wrasses? I heard they don't do well. I was thinking to put them through prazi for 1 week before adding to display. Thanks

JohnSiesta
04/30/2009, 04:07 AM
I've have a male Rhomboid for a year and could get a female in a few weeks and I am also wondering what the dynamic might be. Will male & female wrasses co-exist only when they are mated. I have a 195 display tank so there is plenty of room.

Philwd
04/30/2009, 07:24 PM
Mine co-existed. The female will grow and probably will turn male. At that point there will be a contest to see which will be dominant. For me it lasted ~ 3 days but the new male won. Got really great colors. Took 2 years before the female turned.

jc16
05/02/2009, 10:07 AM
bump

jc16
05/02/2009, 07:21 PM
i'm still wondering what kind of qt process you guys put your wrasses through? i only have a male rhomboid right now and really looking to get a pair as i found out that they will eventually loose a bit of their color, is that true?

iamwrasseman
05/02/2009, 07:38 PM
i have had better sucess with putting them directly into the display tank mainly its a stress thing IMO .i think its a heck of a lot less stressfull that way . i have had at least a 75% increase in them living this way . i have had a severe loss that was probably because i didnt treat my choati leopard wrasse's with the prazipro because they looked so good . what a mistake that was $1K down the drain ! i could have probably prevented the losses with the proper treatment but that could have been done in the reef tank with no issues . so yes QT have their place but with thease delicate wrasses i think that you have to go beyond that and treat them in the display tank as you best can and you will find you will have a much better success rate for sure . yes a bit of color can be lost you can use a mirror a few times a week so they can see a cospecies and also there are foods that are for colorfull fish that contain essential pigments that will also help . the reduction in color will be so minor and slow that you will probably not be able to tell unless you compare with old pictures . make sure the tank is 100% covered so your wrasse cant pesonate houdini and make a fatefull leap to the floor also .