PDA

View Full Version : Scuba RDP question

20pilot
04/30/2009, 11:10 AM
I am taking a scuba class and they gave me the books and this rdp computer but there is nothing that covers this in the book. I have several questions on how to compute to get answers. I am trying to use it to find pressure groups and such. If someone can help me please pm me and I would like to talk to someone. Thanks in advance.

billsreef
04/30/2009, 12:54 PM
Did they give tables, or just the silly RDP computer? The tables I can help with, the computer I've never used or even desired to use.

SeaJayInSC
05/02/2009, 08:12 AM
By RDP Computer, do you mean the "wheel," or are you talking about an electronic computer?

Like billsreef, I learned using tables - a graphical chart that tells you your pressure group and such... But I hear that the wheel is an alternative and in some ways easier method.

Since I haven't used the wheel before, I'm not qualified to answer questions regarding that specifically, but I have used a variety of methods to calculate nitrogen loading, including tables, rules, computer software, and the wrist or console-style electronic computer as well. If the question is about the science of your "no-decompression limits" and that sort of stuff, I can help.

Since there are so many different methods of obtaining the numbers and groups that you're looking for, perhaps it's best to consult your instructor so that you guys stay on the same page. Why look for answers here when you're apparently paying someone to help you with them?

billsreef
05/02/2009, 11:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14937129#post14937129 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SeaJayInSC
By RDP Computer, do you mean the "wheel," or are you talking about an electronic computer?

I think he's refering to PADI's latest gizmo, the electronic RDP. I've heard it's what PADI is putting in their "crew packs" to use for calculating profiles instead of the old fashioned tables. Too much reliance on technology in place of thinking for oneself IMO.

http://www.oceanxplorer.com.my/home/images/contents/courses/padi_erdp.gif

20pilot
05/02/2009, 05:37 PM
They actually came out with a newer version of that one. Its a little computer and they showed me how to use it before I took the quizes. I am taking private lessons and I was able to complete the Test and the dive in the pool in 2 days. Then today we went to go do the open water and the visibility was about 3 ft so they decided not to do it. I will be returning in a few weeks to try again.

SeaJayInSC
05/02/2009, 06:53 PM
Wow... :eek1: Holy smokes.

20pilot... Uhhhh... What would you say if I told you that I found an instructor that was teaching me to fly in two days?

What's your question, anyway?

billsreef
05/02/2009, 07:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14939438#post14939438 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 20pilot
Then today we went to go do the open water and the visibility was about 3 ft so they decided not to do it.

3ft is a good day around here :lol:

SeaJayInSC
05/02/2009, 10:34 PM
Here too. :) I wouldn't want to teach in it, though. :)

20pilot
05/04/2009, 11:02 AM
Well i was trying to figure out how to use the erdp but I got it down now. I do have a few more questions though:

Anything that you could recommend me practicing in my pool until I go back to do my check outs?

What type of gear would you recommend for a beginner. I have everything other than BCD, Regulator and tank?

SeaJayInSC
05/04/2009, 05:36 PM
As far as gear goes, I wouldn't recommend buying any gear at all, other than your mask, fins, and wetsuit. I would recommend renting everything until you figure out what you like and don't like about gear. Try everything out first, and then buy later after your've fallen in love with something.

Practicing... Now you're talking! That's the right thing to do at this stage in your diving... Practice. And yes, a pool is an ideal environment to practice.

I would recommend practicing DIVING. Do it until you're bored. Go through two or three or four tanks just exploring your pool. When you can't stand the boredom any more, practice flooding your mask and clearing it. When you've mastered that, practice removing it altogether. When you've mastered that, practice removing it and leaving it somewhere, then forcing yourself to find it, blind.

Practice an "out of air." Remove the reg from your mouth. Don't forget to blow bubbles the whole time your reg is removed! When you've done that, practice reaching back and finding your tank valve (while you're wearing the BC - don't take it off) and turning it off and breathing your reg down. When you've hit bottom, practice turning your reg back on again. Can't reach your valve? Figure out what you have to do to reach it.

Of course, practice this in very shallow water - but master the skill and you'll be radically better off.

Try ditching your weights. Try removing your BC and putting it back on again, underwater.

When all is said and done, follow the recommended procedure for proper weighting. Lose the weight that you don't need. Take note of how much weight you really require. Try moving it around on your body, too (not just in the weight pouches - many BC's have "trim weight" pockets) in order to "balance" yourself underwater and get into a horizontal position.

Try different kick styles. Try diving with your hands folded. Try sitting completely still midway in the water column. Try doing this and breathing slightly to rise and exhaling slightly to fall.

Try convincing yourself that the bottom of your pool is filled with live crocodiles, and that touching it would be lethal. Now fold your hands and descend horizontally without touching the bottom. Without kicking, rise using only your lungs. (Remember NEVER to hold your breath, but it's okay to inhale to rise as long as you don't close your throat and actually hold it.) Then try folding your hands AND ankles and doing it again - without manipulating the BC.

Give these skills all a try - master them, and you'll be light years ahead of your class. :)

20pilot
05/05/2009, 12:23 PM
SeaJay,

Thanks for the great response. I have been diving several times on cruises doing the discovery diving. Also I have been offshore several times in the Gulf of Mexico in Fl. I just need to do the check outdive and I am certified. However I am not going ot be able to make it until 2 weeks due to Mothers Day and previous arrangements. But I would like to however continue in the pool practicing. I guess there is no way to practice with actual scuba gear. I have a pool at my house but not equipment. If you have any ideas let me know. Thanks

SeaJayInSC
05/05/2009, 05:46 PM
Ask your instructor if he'll lend you some gear to practice with. If he won't, you'll have to wait until you're certified and then go rent gear from your local dive shop.

How close is your nearest dive shop?

20pilot
05/06/2009, 07:04 AM
I am roughly 30min away from the dive shop. I called and asked and no can do on borrowing some gear. Any other ideas?

SeaJayInSC
05/06/2009, 06:49 PM
Yeah, read the manual that the instructor gave you. When you're done, reread it.

The best snow skiiers that I've ever known aren't those that can to the triple-endo-helicopter jump with the funky chicken flip in the middle... The best I've known are those that have mastered the basics - feet together, total control, and correct form. The same applies to scuba diving! That means that the manual that you have in your hand is probably the most valuable information that you'll ever have with regards to scuba diving.

Another great resource is the book called, "The Fundamentals of Better Diving" by Jarrod Jablonski. "JJ" is a world-record holder and advanced cave diving instructor, and the owner of Global Underwater Explorers, the president of Halcyon, and the owner of two dive shops in Florida. He's also a great guy. :) Read the book.

...If it's a skill you're looking to do and you're bored reading; and you can't obtain scuba gear, then take your mask and fins and hit the pool. Try putting a weight belt together that weights you perfectly, the way that your instructor teaches you. Learning this simple skill will work wonders when you finally obtain your C-card.

Hope that helps. :)

SeaJayInSC
05/06/2009, 06:50 PM
EDIT-

(Sorry, double post.)