PDA

View Full Version : Is there a good way to remove pumping xenia off of live rock?

kware
04/30/2009, 04:09 PM
My pumping xenia is getting too close to my trumpet coral. I try to pull them off with tweasers but the little bastards won't let go of the rock they are on. They are very strong. It was pulling the rock right out of the sand. When I pull on it, it oozes this white stringy stuff. I am also afraid that stuff is toxic to the rest of my corals. Is there a good way to remove them?

joshh81
04/30/2009, 04:28 PM
LOL... sandpaper is my best guess. I have cut them off, scraped them off... and in 2 weeks they are back.

ransomed4ever
04/30/2009, 04:36 PM
I did just pull mine off. Just got a good grip near the base with some long tweezers and just went really slow.

kware
04/30/2009, 04:37 PM
I can't believe how fast these corals reproduce. I went away for 5 days and couldn't believe how much more of the rocks and glass that they covered. My big bubble tip sea anemone gets blown into the xenia and even that doesn't seem to bother them. What about them releasing toxins into the water. Also is it weird that I feel bad for killing them. It feels like I'm killing a pet. I tryed to pull them off but they won't buge. Anybody else got any ideas.

kware
04/30/2009, 04:38 PM
Do they just release very slowley?

Brian DeGolier
04/30/2009, 05:05 PM
I've used the tweezers to pull off the main stalk, then scrub the rock with a stiff hard brissel tooth brush. Then to really finish it off, take kalkwasser and a little tap water and make a paste, and rub it on the area, that should do it.

kware
04/30/2009, 05:10 PM
Can I use anything besides kalkwasser. I don't have any, I use a 2 part solution to dose alk and ca?

sanababit
04/30/2009, 05:26 PM
get the liquid to kill aiptasia, and pour some on top of it, it will wither away...

sana

kware
04/30/2009, 05:28 PM
Will it hurt my green trumpet coral wich is about an inch away from it?