PDA

View Full Version : Stomatopods and LED Lighting

mdavis203
04/30/2009, 07:52 PM
I have a G. ternatensis in a nano-reef under LED lighting. The corals love the light and are growing like crazy, but I'm worried about shell disease with my tern. Is this a problem with LED lights as well, or is it just metal halide?

Dr. Roy, have you done any research or have any insite in this area?

stardrop
05/06/2009, 09:19 AM
I too am interested in seeing answers to this question. I have alternately a 70MH or a table lamp on my 12g. I'm concerned that one is not enough and the other, causing problems

billysanborn
05/11/2009, 11:59 PM
how many watts is the led setup? i have a small led light on my peacocks tank and they are great in addition to the crappy 15 watt bulbs i have for the majority of the lighting dutys

mdavis203
05/12/2009, 06:46 PM
It's an array of twelve 3-watt HO LED's. However, I'm not sure it's a good comparison to talk watts with LED's. The PAR output is much higher per watt than the other types of lights. The corals I have that are thriving under them would shrivel quickly under 36 watts of PC's or T5's.

stardrop
05/12/2009, 09:10 PM
I had a 70w metal halide on for about 7 hrs before I thought better of it (shell rot).

So, right now there's nothing but an end table lamp with a compact fluorescent bulb in it.

thatoneazn
05/16/2009, 12:49 PM
What??? I am lost high light is attributed towards shell rot??? I am so lost...i just put 70 watt MH equiv. of LED on my nano cube 6....i have plenty of dark areas for it to hide....

justinl
05/17/2009, 11:56 AM
Last time I checked with Dr. Roy, no work had been done to figure out what exactly causes shell rot. There is a definite correlation with high light but is it due to a certain spectrum in the light? lots of red? UV? who knows. Because of the high light metal halides kick out, they are not generally recommended on mantis tanks that house deeper water species like peacocks. My personal unfounded suspicion is that it is the UV, but I really have no idea. LEDs kick out less UV right? I would be interested to see if LEDs are less prone to causing shell rot. Not that I would know offhand how to set up a proper experiment to figure that out.

Tangalong
05/17/2009, 12:46 PM
justinl, I believe that too. Are the actinic of the same watt as a flourescent or compact less damaging? Who can we ask to find this out? I have been trying for 2 months and nobody knows. I use the spiral type from Lowe's and would love to find one in actinic but haven't been successful. Anyone seen them?????

justinl
05/17/2009, 12:52 PM
tangalong, until we know what aspect of high light is the damaging bit, we'll never know.

btw, I don't know that light intensity isn't the culprit ether; if that's the case, then LEDs should cause shell rot.

Tangalong
05/17/2009, 01:04 PM
Science Project for school anyone?????LOL.