PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Algae

slyyy
04/30/2009, 09:45 PM
Besides Emerald Crabs and Water changes what else can I do to get rid of Bubble Algae? I have gone through about 12 Crabs and I change water 30gals aweek and it just won't go anyway, I have a 75gal setup.

PRDubois
04/30/2009, 09:51 PM
Is it all over or isolated to a few rocks?

SaltyDr
04/30/2009, 09:54 PM
Manual removal is the best action. If they are small they shouldn't have any spores yet so I wouldn't worry about spreading more. I have also taken a syringe and sucked the juice out of some of the bigger ones. Then you can peel off the skin. I have not noticed any more bubbles in the 4 months that I did this. I didn't have a real infestation though, only about 8 bubbles. BTW the emerald crab didn't touch them.

Aquarist007
04/30/2009, 10:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14929802#post14929802 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SaltyDr
Manual removal is the best action. If they are small they shouldn't have any spores yet so I wouldn't worry about spreading more. I have also taken a syringe and sucked the juice out of some of the bigger ones. Then you can peel off the skin. I have not noticed any more bubbles in the 4 months that I did this. I didn't have a real infestation though, only about 8 bubbles. BTW the emerald crab didn't touch them.

+1
I have also used tweezers to pluck them off the rock making sure to grab the bubble at the base where it is attached to the rock. It is preferred if you can take the rock out and do it but if not this can be done in the tank.

MTB
05/01/2009, 06:30 AM
I kill the flow in the tank and syphon them out while doing a water change. Some can be sucked right up with the hose, while others need to be worked loose.

thegrun
05/01/2009, 08:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14930863#post14930863 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MTB
I kill the flow in the tank and syphon them out while doing a water change. Some can be sucked right up with the hose, while others need to be worked loose.

+1, and be sure to scrape down to bare rock, removing all traces of the algae.