PDA

View Full Version : cool use of 1.5" glass......

james3370
05/01/2009, 03:00 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/05/a-glass-bottom-skydeck-for-sears-tower.html

Visitors won't have to crane their necks to see straight down from the Sears Tower Skydeck when the building adds four glass-bottomed balconies, nicknamed "The Ledge," to its 50-mile views come June.

The Skydeck on the 103rd floor of the building that is changing its name to Willis Tower, opened in 1974, and has--weather permitting--always provided a view of four states. But to see what's directly beneath them, visitors always had to get as close to the building's windows as possible. The Ledge is scheduled to open next month, according to a spokeswoman for the Skydeck.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/searstowerledge1.jpg

"The inspiration for The Ledge came from hundreds of forehead prints visitors left behind on Skydeck windows every week," according to a fact sheet from the Sears Tower.

There will be no extra charge for The Ledge, although the charge for Skydeck admission increased a dollar today to $14.95 for those ages 12 and older, the first increase in two years; admission for those ages 3 to 11 is $10.50.

The addition of the boxes is part of a larger, multimillion dollar renovation of the Skydeck, according to a spokeswoman.

Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, the architecture firm that designed the tower, also designed The Ledge, whose four 1-1/2-inch-thick glass boxes are being placed on the building's west side, according to the fact sheet. The retractable boxes will extend 4.3 feet out from the side of the building at 1,353 feet above street level, according to the fact sheet.

Each of the four Ledge boxes is comprised of three layers of half-inch-thick glass. They are designed to hold about five tons, much more weight than they are expected to have to carry when they have a full group of visitors, and also higher than the two tons required by city code, according to the spokeswoman..

sandalscout
05/01/2009, 03:04 PM
wow, that's cool, but I'm not sure I'd go out there.

CKreef
05/01/2009, 03:09 PM
They would have to pay me to go out there. But it is awesome!!!!

chewie
05/01/2009, 03:10 PM
Sweet! Now fill it with saltwater LOL!

james3370
05/01/2009, 03:41 PM
i'd be the arse that goes out & then says "did you hear that....?" or or does the "surfboard shake" side to side going "ohhhhh i think it's moving"

hahahahaha

sal-t-dawg
05/01/2009, 06:43 PM
oh....i think im gonna puke!!:eek2:

Mobikob
05/02/2009, 06:08 AM
I'm having a hard time just looking at it!
Notice that everyone is hanging on to something. LOL

Mobi:D

devonjevon
05/02/2009, 05:08 PM
wht if you concealed weapon goes off

gabberjaw
05/03/2009, 09:18 PM
What I want to know is the wieght limitation?!!! I couldn't even get next to that window!!!!

Fanof49ASU
05/04/2009, 07:13 AM
There's no way I'd step onto that thing.....and furthermore, all of you guys put together couldn't pull my old butt out there on that.

That's similar to the skywalk on the Grand Canyon.

http://www.photography-edu.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/grand-canyon-skywalk.jpg

james3370
05/04/2009, 02:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14945993#post14945993 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gabberjaw
What I want to know is the wieght limitation?!!! I couldn't even get next to that window!!!!

last paragraph.....
Each of the four Ledge boxes is comprised of three layers of half-inch-thick glass. They are designed to hold about five tons, much more weight than they are expected to have to carry when they have a full group of visitors, and also higher than the two tons required by city code, according to the spokeswoman..

call me crazy, but i think it'd be cool if it was open-topped & the edges where about waist high :D

slightly off-topic....anybody walked out on the Natchez Trace Bridge where it goes over hwy 96?? i've base jumped off it....twice http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/james3370/smileys/devil.gif