PDA

View Full Version : Advice on making pink acros pop?

saltywet
05/01/2009, 05:56 PM
I wanted to know if there are any info people can share in making pink acros (not pinkbirds nest, or pink stylo) show their true pink.

My pink milli, pink hyacinthus always turn to a drab brown or browish red.

I want to know from people with those awesomely sweeeeeeet pinks to share what they do to keep those pinks.

Thanks
:D

Znut Reefer
05/01/2009, 06:56 PM
Try keeping them under high lighting. That usually works.

saltywet
05/01/2009, 10:51 PM
Znut--thanks for your input...

I keep mine under - 400w reeflux 20k with lumenmax elite reflectors.

They are just 7" directly under the lights.

Unfortunately--I still have drably reddish brown colors.

I should also comment about my params:

alk 8.0--elos
calc 400--elos
mag--1350--elos
n03--5ppm--elos
p04--.03--Hana colorometer

Any other suggestions pleazeeeee.

Znut Reefer
05/01/2009, 11:16 PM
Never used the 20K Reeflux. Only Radiums and 20K XM's. Maybe in time they will color up for you.

saltywet
05/01/2009, 11:49 PM
Znut Reefer---thanks again.

I haved used Radiums before...The 20k Reeflux kinda looks like that.

I have used the following bulbs thru the years.

20k Helios, 10k Reeflux, 12k Reeflux, 14k Ushios--Pink acros kinda look brownish red in my tank.

I should say this is only my experience with these bulbs in my tank. Other reefers may have nice pink colors using these bulbs and that is why I am asking for help.

I even went as far as using switching over to T5- overdriven with Icecaps to try to get pinker colors.

I have used KZ Fiji Purple, ATI aqua blue special, ATI blue +, ATI Procolor. I honestly didn't see much of an improvment using T5 for pink colors.

Znut Reefer
05/02/2009, 01:02 AM
Maybe some others will chime in and tell their experince. What pink acros are you trying to color up. Just curious.

saltywet
05/02/2009, 02:08 AM
Yeah, I hope others can chime in and help.

I have a pink millipora, pink hyacinthus, pink cythera, pink clathrata, pink insignius (sp?), pink abrotanoides--(I know abrotanoides are very hard to keep their color)

capture
05/02/2009, 07:46 AM
Is it just your pink acros that dont "pop"? You might have high nutrients. Do you have issues with any nuisance algae?
I had a similar issue. Some of my SPS were about 3 inches under a 250w 14K MH setup and things continued to turn brown. I started to dose vodka and MicroBacter 7 and things have started to look better.
The answer for you may not be dosing vodka and MB7 but just wanted to share since I had a similar issue.

superchargeme
05/02/2009, 02:23 PM
I have had sucsess with my pink table under 1000 watt radium. Under 400 watters it got pink but not hot pink as under the 1000. When I switched to the 1000 it took a couple of weeks to aclimate the corals to the extra light. Hope this helps, oh the only thing that I changed at the time was the size of the bulb Peace.

saltywet
05/02/2009, 03:23 PM
Capture--thanks for chiming in.

I have no issues with any nuisance algae. I guess I would consider myself as having low nutrients based on my P04, NO3.

I have used zeovit for over one year.

I have no problems with other colors...purples, blues, greens...they don't turn brown on me.

I did see major improvements with purples and purples just not the pinks with zeovit.

saltywet
05/02/2009, 03:33 PM
I have had sucsess with my pink table under 1000 watt radium

WOW! 1000w--thanks for sharing your experience that this works for you for the pinks.

I think this may be my last resort if all else fails. I afraid my neighbors would call the ATF on me thinking I am growing :smokin: in my garage.:lol:

Actually, it would be the heat issue that I am worried about. I would have to somehow find a way to vent the heat out the garage where I keep the tank.

muzz
05/02/2009, 03:46 PM
With my pink millipora, when the bulbs aged, they pink edges on the coralites lost that POP to them. I switched to T5 lighting, and like them, but they are not as bright as the 400w 12k reeflux bulbs that I used to use. To get the pink color back, I had to increase the amino acids, as nutrients were to low, and all pinks in my tank turned rather pastel or pale looking. So I would suggest increasing the amino acids slowly and see if that helps. It should help to darken or deepen all colors in your tank. All pink corals need very intense lighting to hold that color, or they do shift to the browner looking side. That has been my experience.

DankReefer
05/02/2009, 03:46 PM
my ORA pink millie is showing better colors than ever sitting on the bottom of my 58, I know it's the exact opposite of where everyone else has theres, but it's hard to argue with the color

saltywet
05/02/2009, 11:08 PM
Muzz,

when you add amino acids, did the pink color come back or did it turn to a darker reddish slightly brown color?

With regards to pink corals needing intense lighting to hold that color, anyone here have pink colors using 250w?

Thus far, it almost appears that people don't have luck keeping pink acros pink....or they're not chiming in yet.:D

saltywet
05/02/2009, 11:13 PM
Thus far, it almost appears that people don't have luck keeping pink acros pink....or they're not chiming in yet.

Opps, I should say Thus far, it almost appears that not many people can keep pink acros pink....or they're not chiming in yet.

muzz
05/03/2009, 07:14 AM
Here is my red planet and my pink milli. I am not that good at taking pics, but it gives an idea.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa291/jmuzzey/P4140287.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa291/jmuzzey/P4200349.jpg

saltywet
05/03/2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the pics!--Muzz,

I am jealous of your pinks!

I guess I will need to bump up adding aa into my tank to see if I can increase the pink.

What level are you keeping your table milli?

Thanks

Oldude
05/03/2009, 12:57 PM
If you are using zeo your alk may be a bit on the high side at 8 DKH, I think they suggest closer to 7 DKH.
Then again it may just be simple genetics..... for a test to rule that out I would suggest cutting a few frags and give them to some one who gets good pinks in their tank and see if they turn for them. If so then it is something with your system.

saltywet
05/03/2009, 01:47 PM
Oldude,

Your right, it may be genectics...it always doesn't hurt to give a few frags to your friends.

Re my 8dkh, I will slowly lower it back down to 7ish.

Thanks

muzz
05/03/2009, 02:19 PM
Oldude has a good point. I have had some corals that have never done anything, so I gave pieces to others, and they never got them to do anything either. It happens.

I had my pink milli at the very top of the tank, and I moved it down about 8 inches. It almost completely browned out from t he move, and it happened within a week. I moved it back up top, and it is doing really good again. Here is a picture from the looking down the side of my tank. The pink milli is at the top closest to you, and you can kind of see my pink brdsnest on the other end. I can not get a good FTS looking straight on, never have been able to.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa291/jmuzzey/P4200403.jpg

Steve Ruddy
05/03/2009, 06:40 PM
High Par, low Kelvin, low nutrients = brightest pink

http://www.coralreefecosystems.com/images/orarosemilla.jpg

saltywet
05/03/2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks Muzz and Steve for the nice shots.

I, in my improbable goal of trying to achieve super pink, this is what I am trying to achieve.

Here are some snapshots from RM way back when:

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7128/pinkclathrata2.jpghttp://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6049/cythera.jpg

What do people think? Can this color be achieved via low nutrients alone or low nutrients with amino acids?

Steve Ruddy
05/03/2009, 10:00 PM
What do people think? Can this color be achieved via low nutrients alone or low nutrients with amino acids?

It has been my experience that all parameters are needed to achieve your goal. So an additive alone won't work. FWIW I don't add amino acids.

http://www.coralreefecosystems.com/images/ORAredplanet.jpg

saltywet
05/03/2009, 10:33 PM
Steve,

It has been my experience that all parameters are needed to achieve your goal

What params can you share with us to make that stick gloowww.:eek1:

r-balljunkie
05/03/2009, 10:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14934306#post14934306 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltywet
I wanted to know if there are any info people can share in making pink acros (not pinkbirds nest, or pink stylo) show their true pink.

My pink milli, pink hyacinthus always turn to a drab brown or browish red.

I want to know from people with those awesomely sweeeeeeet pinks to share what they do to keep those pinks.

Thanks
:D

if your browing out, sounds like phosphates to me. your running a reactor?

saltywet
05/04/2009, 12:14 AM
r-balljunkie

One would think it would be phosphates, but my phosphates test on hana 0.04 tonight.

Do I need to go down below 0.02 or less to get the pinks?

agsansoo
05/18/2009, 09:43 AM
Bump ... I would like to know too.

bogg
05/18/2009, 10:00 AM
If you're running zeo maybe try the b balance and the stylopocciglo.
I would say high light but I currently have a birdsnest on the sandbed that is doing great so?. I think you might need to throw a more yellow/red bub in the mix like the kz coralight w/ red or the ati aquablue special maybe.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m99/bogg2/125-2.jpg