PDA

View Full Version : Want to add 3 blue/green chromis- Can I?

DLANDINO
05/01/2009, 08:03 PM
Hi, I am looking to enhance my fish population with the addition of 3 blue/green reef chromis. I currently only have 3 fish.

Let me tell you about my tank and nutrient export measures before you answer.

46 Gal. sps/lps mixed reef
Deltec MCE 600
2080 gph flow
2 false perc
1 fire goby
1 serpent star
1 black urchin
62 lbs live rock
80 lbs live sand
I perform weekly 15 % water changes using RO/DI
All parameters are perfect.

So, can I add three more fish to add interest to the display? The reason that I want to add three is because most folks say that you have to add chromis in odd numbers and I would like to see some schooling activity.

Thanks for reading

thegrun
05/01/2009, 08:37 PM
I don't see a problem with your tank being able to support them. I have had trouble keeping more than one alive (after 3 attempts I only keep one).They always pick on the weakest fish until he dies and then turn on the next weakest. I have read where others added 5 and the strongest 3 co-exist, killing the weakest two. I hope you get lucky and all three make it.

kaylo
05/01/2009, 09:46 PM
With only 3 fish, I think you should be fine.

I'm not an SPS expert, but I am guessing you might want to just watch your nitrates for a while after getting them. I believe they are a little tempermental with swings and 3 more avid eaters will definatly add to the bioload. If you're doing water changes every week though you should be more than fine.

Interesting thegrun. I never heard of them doing that before.

I actually bought 5 and within 2 weeks I had 3. I've had those 3 for a while now.

I read a few times that they are hit or miss the first month or so. If they live through the acclimation they are pretty hardy but pretty succeptable to losses when they are new. I've found this to be pretty true in the past. This may have to do with what you were saying.

DLANDINO
05/01/2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks both, Kaylo, are you in CTARS?

kaylo
05/02/2009, 07:17 AM
I'm not an official member yet. I went to the conference a few weeks back and i'll be at the meeting tomorrow because I live down the street from Aquatic Wildlife. I plan on officially joining then.

I'm on CT fish stores site more though.

You in CTARS?