PDA

View Full Version : Moving 140 Reef Tank

majik44
05/01/2009, 11:34 PM
Im moving a 140 to my135 monday,transfering everything
water live rock all the guts of tank I have drained my 135
all the way to substrate, cleaned skimmer and want to know
should i take out subtrate about 2 in base , the other tank im getting the substrate out of other tank do i need to remove mine out completely 140 has about 3 inches and this tank has been
established for 2 years any thoughts and this would be helpful
and does all water need to get out of my sump dry

saltman1
05/02/2009, 11:05 AM
I'd like ot tag along as well. My 150 just sprung a small leak so i am transferring a 3 yr old reef to a new tank. Do I bring the sand along or start with new sand...

reefmansteve
05/02/2009, 02:21 PM
just tagging along was about to post the same thing I'm about to move and was wondering what to do about the sand thing.

gooyferret
05/02/2009, 05:29 PM
You should be able to keep your old sand as long as its not a DSB otherwise you could cause a mini-cycle from the sand getting mixed, could go new if you would want on that. EVERYTHING should be outta a tank before you move the tank, never leave any water or sand in the bottom before you move a tank....otherwise it could break, or crack.

Jeremy0322
05/03/2009, 12:43 AM
Try not to stir the sand up as much as you can while moving it, and I would also run some carbon for a while just to make sure nothing makes it into the tank that you dont want there. Sand beds can have some interesting stuff in there depending on how old it is.