PDA

View Full Version : flame scallop

BlastoEric1589
05/02/2009, 10:48 PM
hey guys. i just bought a flame scallop. Hes average size i guess, (about 3 1/2" across the shell) and im wondering whats the best place to put him in the tank. High or low flow/lighting?

He's already kinda scuttled himself off of the rock i put him on and flopped on top of my trachyphyllia in my sandbed. So i realize there might be a problem with trying to keep him tied down, i just wanted to know if there were any secrets or something i dont know about flame scallops.

thanks in advance.

Maximus Clammus
05/03/2009, 08:32 AM
A Scallop is gonna do what the Scallop wants to do. You can't put it anywhere you want because it will move. And sadly these are one of the animals that are better off left in the ocean. It will die in a month or so in your tank. We can not provide them with the food they require.

JAustin
05/03/2009, 09:59 AM
my flame scallop is 6 months old and gtting bigger!

BlastoEric1589
05/06/2009, 06:24 PM
well he kinda rested himself on the under side of a rock ledge in my tank and seems to be very happy there.

hes been open since i dropped him in and i can see his cool little flourescent shocky thing inside his shell that looks like lightning.

(sorry, im still kinda amazed by it)

hopefully he sticks around for a while. he seems to be happy, atleast from what i can see

morphiii
05/07/2009, 07:45 AM
I had my for a year and still going strong.

Try to find him a crevice in the rocks.

He will feel more comfortable and stop moving.

TampaBayReefer
05/24/2009, 09:09 AM
What are you feeding your scallop? And is it true that when they die they nuke the tank?

fishguy2727
05/31/2009, 06:44 PM
I have talked to multiple people who have had them for 2+ years. It usually requires a good position (right in the main flow of the tank, toward the end so all filterable material ends up going by the scallop), and good feeding with stuff like Reef Snow. No longer and impossible, but still an improbable. Just take the right steps.

adambirk
05/31/2009, 06:58 PM
i had mine for a year and a half. did really well untill i got a flame angle 2 days after i put the angle in my tank it ate my scalope. i raise my own photoplankton and dosed it to my tank every other day other than that i did not add anything extra and like i said it did great

DPalm3
06/10/2009, 07:41 PM
i would believe a scallop could "nuke" a tank similar to nudibranchs, clams, anemones

the "lightning" is caused from a reflection of light

scallops, I believe, are non-photosynthetic filter feeders