PDA

View Full Version : Help! There is a pistol shrimp assasin in my tank!

Zire
05/03/2009, 01:01 PM
I woke up today to do the daily morning inspection of the tank and I noticed something was amiss. There were half built burrows everywhere and upon closer inspection I noticed both of my pistol shrimp's pincers, detached from its body about five inches from each other and what looked like the covering of his head and body nearby. Is it possible that he was murdered while I slept?
I have a 95 gallon reef tank, the inhabitants are:
Fish-
Yellow tang
Six line Wrasse
Two Percula clownfish
Mono Argentus
Yellow watchman goby
Red lizard blenny (A.K.A Red spotted sand perch) (I've seen this guy go after some nassarius snails so I'm weary of him)
(Is this getting too full? I don't plan on adding anything else)

Inverts-
Orange starfish
Blue Linkia starfish
1 purple Brittle star
1 grey Brittle star
3 turbo snails
1 conch
1 cleaner shrimp
1 blood red fire shrimp
1 emerald crab(I'm looking at this guy as the culprit too)
around 4-6 nassarius snails

I'm really at a loss as to what could have killed this guy, it really pains me cause he had just formed a symbiotic relationship with my yellow watchman goby. Or is it possible he just molted?

ctenophors rule
05/03/2009, 04:03 PM
he probably just molted, i wouldn't worry. you will be able to tell with in a week or so if the alpheus has passed.

your tank is egtting a little crowded, i think not adding any more is a good choice.

dudley moray
05/05/2009, 09:33 PM
could have molted or could be a mantis in there the snapping and smashing sound very similar

dudley moray
05/05/2009, 09:33 PM
also mantis shrimp tend disarm their prey before consuming

AJSTITAN14
05/14/2009, 10:05 AM
+1 to molting.

I found a "dead" hermit crab in my rocks a few days ago and then I found another one this morning. I have a 29g bio Cube with only 3 hermits in it. So I became alarmed thinking that I had done something wrong and my tank was killing my hermits. So when I was trying to fish out the dead hermit I saw three living hermits crawling around in my tank and got really confused about the math and started thinking that I had gotten a hitchhiker in the last batch of live rock that I hadn't seen for some reason. When I got the "dead" crab up close his shell looked thin and filmy and it hit me like a bolt from the blue that all of my hermits were quite alive and that two of them had simply molted. I didnt see the one hermit for a few days I think he was hiding out letting his shell harden.

So give your pistol a few days before you write him off as dead. He might be hiding out to let his shell harden.