PDA

View Full Version : refugium and sump?

redhanded77
05/03/2009, 04:23 PM
i was looking for comments/advice/opinions on having both a refugium and sump. i already have a 20g which has a refugium area (sand, macro, rock rubble) and a compartment for skimmer and reactor pumps. i was thinking of adding a 10g tank to have as a dedicated refugium that way i can utilize the 20g strictly for all my equipment.

i havent really figured out how im going to do the plumbing as i only have 1 overflow in my display tank which then goes to my existing sump/refugium. i was thinking of putting a split in my drain and have it go to the 20g and the 10g. with that route, i would have to have 2 return pumps going back to the display which would have to be regulated to keep water levels consistent.

OR, i could have the 20g drain into the 10g and have the return in the 10g back to the display.

sorry for the babbling, my brain is a little tweaked after a 12 hour work day and im just typing as i think, lol.

Aquarist007
05/03/2009, 04:30 PM
setup a gravity feed where the drainage goes first to the 20gal and then to the 10 gal and finally to the sump. Make sure it can return to the display without being skimmed.
the first 20 gal I would make a deep sand bed only(with some live rock)
the second fuge I would make entirely cheato macro alagae with no substrate

Aquarist007
05/03/2009, 04:36 PM
this is a little outdated but illustrates what I meant

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/reefescapetangster/DSC_0382.jpg

this thread as tons of other ideas for you:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1349443

redhanded77
05/03/2009, 04:52 PM
thanks for the link!! im going to check it out right now. but one more question (which i think will probably be answered in the link you provided), do you think having a separate sump and refugium is worth taking the time and money to do so?

Aquarist007
05/03/2009, 09:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14944400#post14944400 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by redhanded77
thanks for the link!! im going to check it out right now. but one more question (which i think will probably be answered in the link you provided), do you think having a separate sump and refugium is worth taking the time and money to do so?

absolutely---from the stand point of flow---a dsb requires very little flow--a trickle

chaeto likes to be moved around by flow and

the flow in the sump should match the ability of your skimmer otherwise unskimmed water is being returned to the display tank

by use of ball valves you can control these rates of flow and separate conditions

Whys
05/03/2009, 11:27 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a more recent photo of that setup Capn. :)

Aquarist007
05/04/2009, 05:56 AM
Is that a tactfull way of telling me you are tired of me posting the same old picture :)

Whys
05/04/2009, 04:39 PM
You know darn well I have no tact. :D

I'm simply impressed by the setup and I'm curious to see how it looks today.