PDA

View Full Version : Question for Solana owners

Reef-Ski
05/04/2009, 04:47 AM
I am thinking about ordering a new 34 gallon Solana.

My question is can anyone tell me how loud the system runs as far as the return pump, and the overflow when the water enters the filtration chambers?

I plan to have this in my living room and I don't want to drive the wife crazy if it is noisy.

Thanks in advance for your input on this.

Mook Man
05/04/2009, 06:59 AM
The stock return pump, well my stock return pump at least is dead silent; the only way I can tell it is on is by checking the water level in the back chambers. The overflow is also very quiet because the water flows through a coarse black sponge situtated right behind the overlflow to suppress any splashing noise. As long as the water level is kept at the proper height, there is also no splashing as the water travels from the first chamber up over the divider and through the sponge in the second chamber. The only noise you may have to worry about is that of the stock skimmer.

Reef-Ski
05/04/2009, 07:36 AM
Mook Man-

Great thanks for the info.

Looks like it would be a good fit for the living room.

GentleBen
05/04/2009, 08:57 AM
Just want to back up what Mook Man said. The system is very quiet, I have mine in the living room also. Loudest component is the fan on the Sunpod light fixture, and its not intrusive at all.

kmu
05/04/2009, 10:07 AM
the only thing that makes noise is the skimmer

Reef-Ski
05/04/2009, 10:21 AM
Great info

Thanks everyone for your insight.

JustinReef
05/04/2009, 11:56 AM
Mine is beside my bed and I don't hear it at all. I also don't use the skimmer though. Never even plugged it in :)

When my chiller comes on, I can hear it but never the tank itself.