PDA

View Full Version : Montipora Eating Nudibranchs!

sbreefer
05/04/2009, 10:31 AM
I have recently discovered montipora eating nudibranchs in my 120g DT. Not good. Acros are fine. they look like little white whispy things about 1-3mm. I used Borneman's treatment of potassium permanagate at 50mg/l for 30 min and lost 50 % of corals treated. I have removed ALL montis for 2 mo. trying to starve them out. I wonder if there is a treatment to use as a profilactic prior to bring new corals into the DT. there is a Capricornis and an ORA orange digitata in the photo. both are covered in nudibranchs!!!!!

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=272820

deep6er
05/04/2009, 03:24 PM
seeing that picture I would not even try any save it. its to far gone. I have used Borneman's treatment but for not as long as you have and my corlas are fine. I have found that if the nudi's have done alot of damage and the coral is under stress due to this, dipping would only kill the coral. So frag whats left and hope for the best.

Atomikk
05/05/2009, 04:33 PM
The only way to eradicate them is to buy a Radient Wrasse, OR, manually eradicate them. I used a toothbrush to kill the nudis and their eggs. And the key was to be VERY persistent. Every day you need to check all of your montis. Otherwise they will reproduce, and you will be back to square one.

HTH

lowbudget
05/05/2009, 07:07 PM
looking at that piece i would just get another one. i tried manually removing them before and did work for me ai havd to throw it away and not risk with my other monti pieces