PDA

View Full Version : attempting nano reef, need advice!

ExtremeClownfish
05/04/2009, 07:00 PM
i think im finally going to attemp a reef aquarium and try to learn a little as i go...

i have this laying around and was wondering if it will work:
29 gallon aquarium
power compact lights
cpr bak pak2 with wood air block mod
40lbs live rock

will this stuff work to get started and do i need a bio filter?
i have a few emperors laying around also if needed

E.intheC
05/04/2009, 08:37 PM
are you trying to grow corals or just have a FOWLR? Power compact lighting will be fine if you only want fish and liverocks. If you want corals, you might want to get some T-5's or halides instead.

I think your skimmer will be fine, in most cases.. (unless you really want some demanding SPS corals).. Some will say that there are better skimmers out there (and there are) but a bakpak will work just fine.

I'd skip the bio filter. (You already have 40 lbs of live rock that will do that for you) ;)

nate82
05/04/2009, 09:07 PM
Power Compact lighting will be fine for now especially if you already own it and will support many beginner corals go for it! Then later down the road when you've learned more and gained more experience and can actually sustain life with the harder to keep corals you can upgrade.

ExtremeClownfish
05/04/2009, 09:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14952592#post14952592 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nate82
Power Compact lighting will be fine for now especially if you already own it and will support many beginner corals go for it! Then later down the road when you've learned more and gained more experience and can actually sustain life with the harder to keep corals you can upgrade.

thats what i was thinking..

how long should i let the system run before adding begginer corals?

Agu
05/04/2009, 09:26 PM
The equipment you have may work.

I've tried several mods on the Bakpak but the original configuration with the Rio RVT actually worked best for me. Hated the airstone mod and the noise from an airpump.

More info about the lights is necessary to give an informed opinion.

Running the Emperor without the filtration media adds flow without adding heat to the tank. I have HOB filters filled with rock rubble instead of the filtration media.

E.intheC
05/04/2009, 09:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14952741#post14952741 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Agu

Running the Emperor without the filtration media adds flow without adding heat to the tank. I have HOB filters filled with rock rubble instead of the filtration media.

+1. I agree with this part of the HOB filter. I have an Aqua Clear 70 filter hanging on right now with carbon, polyfilter, phosphate remover, and some live rock rubble. I meant the bio filter itself wasn't necessary.