PDA

View Full Version : 2 black clowns and bta

romsoccer12
05/04/2009, 07:18 PM
what would be the best way to get 2 black ocellaris's to start going into a bta? havent gotten either of them yet but are there any tips that would help to get them together?

ento-reefer
05/04/2009, 07:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14951760#post14951760 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by romsoccer12
what would be the best way to get 2 black ocellaris's to start going into a bta? havent gotten either of them yet but are there any tips that would help to get them together?

I purchased a RBTA for my clowns and they never went anywhere near it. They chose to host my red goni and have never left it. I don't think there are ever any guarantees that they will host the nem. I think you may have good luck if there isn't any other coral in your tank that they think is a good host.

romsoccer12
05/04/2009, 07:39 PM
okay ill try to get my anemone 1st but that means ill have to wait a while because my tank is 5weeks old and you need pretty good water stability for an anemone. Would a bta survive in a 19foot tall tank with two 36watt lights?

ocellaris123
05/04/2009, 07:49 PM
19 foot tall tank? That must be one huge tank and 2 36 watters aren't going to cut it for lighting.

Two 36 watt bulbs is going to be on the low end for a hosting anemone imo for a 29 gallon aquarium 19 inch aquarium. You may get away with a bubble anemone if you really wanted to try it. I would upgrade your lighitng.

romsoccer12
05/04/2009, 07:58 PM
19 inch sorry and ive seen many people with amazing bta's with just two 36watt pc's and whats imo mean?

ocellaris123
05/04/2009, 09:13 PM
Imo (in my opinion). I myself have kept bubble anemones under power compact lighting and they have done great, but I always had around 5 watts per gallon (watts per gallon rule is useless but i like to use it when talking about pc, florescent). I did say you would be on the low end for lighting for a bubble anemone (they are hardy animals in my experience) but if you can I would go ahead and upgrade the lighting if possible. Good luck with what ever you decide, and if you end up getting a bubble anemone make sure to feed it.

And when I first got my black ocellaris I used the flashlight trick at night to get them to go into my bubble anemone. Pretty much shined the light on the anemone and after a while the clownfish swam in. It may or may not work. Some say taping a picture of a clownfish in an anemone to your tank can get them to start hosting but it has not worked for me.

leoan
05/04/2009, 10:27 PM
after 2 months of my clowns not going in my rbta i tried the flash light trick in complete darkness for about 30 mins and it finally worked

CollinT
05/04/2009, 10:57 PM
leoan, explain this "flash light trick" please lol