PDA

View Full Version : Nursing back a bleached acan?

meskin
05/04/2009, 08:08 PM
Can a bleached acan frag be "nursed" back to its original colors? During a local heat wave, the water temperature of my tank got way too hot about two weeks ago (nearly 86) then cooled back down quickly when I turned on my AC. I lost 2 fish, and noticed that my acan frags (3 of them) all turned white around the edges and have yet to improve much. They still have some very modest color, and tentacles that will grab food (live brine, for example, tonight), but they are nowhere near as intense as they were.
With time and more normal temps/feedings, will color eventually return, and if so, how long should it take? If new heads appear, will they have color, or be bleached, too?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

RandyO
05/04/2009, 10:41 PM
Feeding is the key with Bleached LPS. Without zooxanthelle algae to feed them, they will starve. If you feed them daily, they will have the energy to get better.

Try feeding a mixture of frozen foods like Mysis, Brine, and cyclopeeze or Rod's Food. Also, keep them in the shade for now until you see their color coming back.

ohiofry
05/05/2009, 01:06 PM
Agreed.
Feed Feed Feed. Good news is, acans eat like pigs.
and keep in low light for a long time.