PDA

View Full Version : How long without light

jamierk
05/04/2009, 09:08 PM
G'day

I have a mixed reef tank with a decent collection of sps and a maxima clam which has been running for about a year and a half. The glass on one of my two 150w metal halide globes blew out yesterday. I've ordered replacement glass but as it is i only have 1 bulb running and the 2 supplemental t5 lights. How long can corals last without their usual fill of lighting requirements? The replacements should be here by thursday or friday, which means about 5 days without it. I was thinking of alternating my working light each day to share the light around. Any thoughts?

Thanks very much

Jamie

imcosmokramer
05/04/2009, 09:12 PM
alternating the light will work.

1DeR9_3Hy
05/04/2009, 10:11 PM
Not sps, but i moved some LR from my DT to my breeder tank. One of the pieces had some palys on it, and i really did not feel like saving them...so they have been in my breeder tanks absent of light for over two weeks. It opened daily for about a week, then it closed and has stayed that way for another week. But still, its on the rock and attached pretty well even after two weeks of no light at all.

Flipper62
05/04/2009, 10:23 PM
Depending on the corals that you have will depend on the light they need. However your plan on moving the lights should be ok. A few days should be no ploblem. As far as any fish, they couldn't care less. Fish dont care if the lights are on or not.

jamierk
05/05/2009, 04:29 AM
lol, other side getting the light tonight. PITA to change the glass from light to light but corals are worth it. Soon i'll have my frag/prop tank as a backup for lighting issues.

jamierk
05/05/2009, 04:02 PM
Strange to see, but there is some insanely good PE on all the corals which are not directly under the working lamp. Is this due to the fact that alot of sps feed at night? Glass should be here today or tomorrow fingers crossed.