PDA

View Full Version : How many Anthias could I add?

PowermanKW
05/05/2009, 04:38 AM
I recently got my fuge and tank all squared away and wanted to add another fish or two and call it good.

currently: 90g w/ 58g sump/fuge. BK mini 160. 120 lbs LR, 160 lbs sand, never have any nitrates or PO4. Feed twice daily and have a good pod population.

Yellow Tang
Scopas Tang
Hippo Tang
Coral Beauty
Blue Blenny
Watchman Goby
3 Chromis
6-line

Cleaner shrimp, and large CUC

So... was wanting a Royal Gramma, but then started looking at Anthias. How many could I add? 2-3? All my fish are small, Hippo, Beauty, 6-line are young. I know I still have some room, but not a lot. Not sure how much mor efish I can go.

Rick55555
05/05/2009, 11:59 AM
It sounds like your tank is pretty much stocked. If it were me, I wouldn't add the anthias unless you trade some of your existing fish. That's just my opinion though. :)

Rick

PowermanKW
05/05/2009, 05:36 PM
I have a Maroon Clown that will be going this week. The 3 Chromis could go. My problem is that all my fish are pretty small. A couple will grow but I don't know how much. Since my nitrogen cycle was doing well, I figured I had room.

cateyes
05/05/2009, 05:50 PM
just my opinion but, those 3 tangs will overload your system in a short time.. i'm setting up a 125 and am concerned about having 2 tangs in it....

TellyFish
05/05/2009, 06:35 PM
FWIW: I agree that you are probably stocked pretty full already.

For me a good stocking for a peaceful 90 reef would be:

1 small tang
1 pygmy angel
3 or 4 small open-dwelling fish like chromis/ anthias
1 or 2 small bottom-dwelling fish like gobies/ blennies
1 elective small fish (like wrasse) or perhaps a clown pair

I think the comment above about the 3 tangs out growing the tank is spot-on. If you do decide to add anthias I would stick with a smaller species like the bartlett's and avoid the larger ones like squarespots.

PowermanKW
05/05/2009, 07:37 PM
So how long do fish grow?

The yellow and scopas tang came with the tank. They are smallish and have not grown any. So I figured they were done. All I know is that they have been in this tank for a year and a half, but I don't know how big they were. I do know the Hippo will grow more. I bought him as a small juvie. An inch maybe.

I never did understand why the PO bought the two tangs. A Scopas would not have been my choice. I have thought about removing him. I'm draining the tank to get the Maroon and the Scopas hangs out on the same side. If I have a chance, I might get him too.

The Chromis are good looking fish, I just don't find them interesting. They don't add much. So what would you guys think if my list looked like this

yellow tang
hippo tang
coral beauty
blenny
goby
6-line.

How many Anthais could I add? I just want some color and character. If Anthias are going to be too dificult I'll just remove the GSM Clown and get a royal gramma and call it good.

My whole point is to have as many colorful/character fish as possible, but this is a reef tank and my emphisis is to have lots of variety in coral... so that is where I'm going.

LobsterOfJustice
05/05/2009, 09:03 PM
Get rid of 2 of the tangs and you can get 4 or 5 anthias.

PowermanKW
05/06/2009, 07:34 PM
I'm going to try and get the Scopas out as well. I think 3 Anthias should be OK.

Is it true you should try to stick to odd numbers with schooling fish?

With fresh water, when I bought groups I would always buy one extra because one always didn't make it. Don't really want to do this with these though.

lombard0
05/06/2009, 08:32 PM
+1 on LobsterOfJustice. Anthias requires multiple feeding per day and that may possibly pollute your tank... easily.

Try to get small specimens (about 2 inches or so), which believed to be all females. In due time, one of them will transform into a male.

May I ask what kind of anthias you are considering to get?

Cheers!

PowermanKW
05/06/2009, 08:56 PM
I like all the normal ones. Lyretail, Bartletts, Dispar, Ignitus. Ilike lyretails, but think they might get too big?

I used to only feed once. Then got the fuge going. I think I was actually underfeeding. Now I feed 2 cubes twice a day. My nitrates and phosphates have always been zero. Wasn't even sure how much algae I could support in my fuge. It does not really grow a ton. Even with the increased feeding, my chemistry has not changed. I throw in plankton and nori a couple of times a week too.

I have a good pod population and a good clean up crew.

I have even cut back on my WCs. I think I was doing to much of that too.

mgers21
05/06/2009, 09:22 PM
I agree with getting rid of the tangs, anthias are just as nice but smaller

PowermanKW
05/06/2009, 10:24 PM
For right now, I'm only getting rid of the Scopas. I like my Yellow. He is only medium size. My Hippo is a jeuvinile, so he is small. 1.5 "? If he outgrows the tank, I'll deal with it then.

LobsterOfJustice
05/07/2009, 09:43 AM
Just FYI, he won't "outgrow" the tank, he will simply stop growing and begin stunting. When you notice him stop growing I would take that as a sign.

anbosu
05/07/2009, 11:22 AM
The hippo will eventually outgrow the tank (or get to the point where it is too big and will stop growing). The yellow for most of its life should be ok in your tank, so I personally wouldn't worry about that as much. Once the hippo gets to the 4" range you probably need to get rid of it and get something more suitable. With one tang you are a lot more likely to have long term success with the anthias I think. Then you could get a group of 3-5 of the smaller types and your bioload should be a lot more reasonable.

PowermanKW
05/07/2009, 01:27 PM
I appreciate all the input guys. I got both fish and traded them for two Lyretails. They only had two. They expect more and I will get another one before they get established.

PowermanKW
05/07/2009, 04:30 PM
Here they are.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/free2801/anthias1.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/free2801/anthias2.jpg

small alien
05/07/2009, 06:17 PM
They are beautiful. Best of luck.

Sardaukar
05/07/2009, 09:29 PM
Good luck! I've personally never been a huge fan of yellow or hippo tangs, mostly because they are so darn common. Its almost a given that a 4'+ salt water aquarium, whether it be reef or fowlr or plastic castles, will have at least one of those two if not both.

PowermanKW
05/07/2009, 11:07 PM
I agree 100%.... and there is a reason that is so.

lombard0
05/08/2009, 12:01 AM
Gorgeous anthias you got there indeed. :)

Good luck!

LobsterOfJustice
05/08/2009, 10:02 AM
Good choice. FWIW, those are not lyretails (not that it matters, but figured you should know).

PowermanKW
05/08/2009, 11:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14975173#post14975173 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LobsterOfJustice
Good choice. FWIW, those are not lyretails (not that it matters, but figured you should know).

I thought it was just me. I didn't think the store had it right, but what do I know?

They had a tank full of what they called square backs. I thought those were the Lyretails, but was turned off as to how big they were.

These were very pale lavender, but they called them lyretails. I was not that impressed in the store, and nearly passed. Now at home I love them because they are so bright orange/pink. I had never been to this store before and it was suggested in a thread I posted on a local board about Anthias.

So... what are they? I even tried to look at stuff on-line but wasn't sure.

LobsterOfJustice
05/08/2009, 12:09 PM
Dispar maybe?

Mr. Brooks
05/08/2009, 01:51 PM
Those are Dispar.

PowermanKW
05/08/2009, 01:57 PM
Just by looking at pics on the web, I think they are Dispar. Redish/orange boby. Yellow stripe down the back. Fusia dorsal fin. Thin line from eye to pec fin. (Not prominent like Lyretails)

I am very happy with them. They look great, but if they are Dispar, I paid way too much. I need to get it worked out because I want one more.