PDA

View Full Version : Bubble rate stops

SNAKEMANVET
05/05/2009, 11:02 AM
I just recently set up a calcium reactor,the bubble rate stops in about an hour.I then turn it back up and stops again.The co2 tank is full,tank valve is all the way open.selinoid is opening when I plug the power back on.

kb27973
05/05/2009, 11:19 AM
Do you have a good needle valve to adjust the flow? I got mine from a welding supply shop. $50 or so I think.

Ken

madcowz
05/05/2009, 11:28 AM
check for leaks. are you using a plastic washer between the regulator and the tank?

SNAKEMANVET
05/06/2009, 09:12 AM
I took the needle out cleaned it,and I don't see a plastic washer.It has plumbers tape in the threads.What is strange is that I have turned the needle valve in the open position until the bubbles are at 2 a second,and when I close the valve it will not go back as far.I have turned the valve a total of 2 complete turns to keep the bubble rate at 2 a second,but when I turn it back the other direction it goes a 1/4 turn.Have I confused you guys yet.

madcowz
05/06/2009, 09:23 AM
I guarantee you have a leak. You need a plastic washer to seal the regulator and the Co2 tank. Without it you will not get consistent pressure. There may be other leaks as well. Mix some soap and water in a spray bottle and check for leaks.

SNAKEMANVET
05/10/2009, 08:11 AM
I kept messing with the valves for adjustments and it is running fine.I didn't have the valve with the pressure gages set right.Thanks guys for the help.

cakemanPA
05/10/2009, 08:20 AM
If you had a leak you would run all of your CO2 out very quickly. I had/have a Milwaukee regulator. It is a decent regulator but a crappy needle valve and it used to stop up all of the time. If a bit of cash say 150-200 and an electronic regulator is a great way to go. If you are comfortable with your regulator, buy a high quality needle valve. Sounds like the issues I was having with my crappy needle valve.

cakemanPA
05/10/2009, 09:38 AM
Or never mind since I see you got it fixed... lol