PDA

View Full Version : How often do you feed?

StayPuft
05/05/2009, 03:52 PM
Just wondering... how often do you feed your fish, especially those who have agressive fish like triggers and large angels? And do you feed the same food to the entire tank?

danorth
05/05/2009, 04:00 PM
3 mm NLS pellets, a few shakes in the morning , a few in the evening. I have never measured it in a true fashion, but could....

DamnPepShrimp
05/05/2009, 04:46 PM
I feed NLS pellets 3mm 2-3x a day along with a frozen food mix with garlic/vitamins 1-2x per day. I like to feed my fish a lot throughout the day, lots of meals but not always the biggest. Keeps them happy, fat, aggression down and my angels don't seem to pick at some of the few corals I have in my tank. Although my eel is never full, he could eat 5 whole shrimp a day everyday easily if I let him!

flameangel88
05/05/2009, 04:46 PM
Morning, after work and before bedtime. Variation of freeze dried mysis, pellets and flakes for snack. Frozen for main meal is a mix of Angel & Butterfly Diet, mysis, PE mysis, Emerald Entree and once a while Bloodworm and homemade seafood.

Recty
05/05/2009, 04:51 PM
Well, I no longer have my 5 triggers, just a big angel, a small angel, and 2 tangs. But when I did have my rough and tumble mix, I fed at least twice a day, 3 times on the weekends.

I did feed the same food to the entire tank, I made sure the food mix had everything in it for all the fishes needs. If I had to try to selectively feed with triggers zipping through the water, that would have been a nightmare.

Stuart60611
05/05/2009, 05:26 PM
Feed only in the evenings (lights come on at 4:30 pm and out at 12:30 am). One large pinch of 3mm and one large pinch of 1mm NLS pellets when I get home usually between 6 and 7. One 1/2 teaspoon or so of my home made mix usually consisting of 3 or 4 different meaty items and nori (today, table shrimp, swordfish, silversides, krill, green and red nori) soaked in selecon and vitachem around 8-9. A final 1/2 teaspoon or so of my home made mix around 10-11. If I think the fish need a little fatening up, then another pellet feeding has been known to happen. If I am not going to be home for the evening, then I usually condense it to one or two larger feedings spaced out as much as time permits.

StayPuft
05/05/2009, 06:01 PM
I've been trying to feed the NLS pellets and all the fish eat them except two... my queen angel and the goldheart trigger. They won't even touch them. So I have to feed them other stuff like the angel formula and raw shrimp and squid. I usually feed twice a day, the raw shrimp/squid/frozen cubes in the morning and the pellets in the evening, then I give Nori sheets a few times too.

flameangel88
05/05/2009, 06:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14958170#post14958170 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by StayPuft
I've been trying to feed the NLS pellets and all the fish eat them except two... my queen angel and the goldheart trigger. They won't even touch them. So I have to feed them other stuff like the angel formula and raw shrimp and squid. I usually feed twice a day, the raw shrimp/squid/frozen cubes in the morning and the pellets in the evening, then I give Nori sheets a few times too.

Try to get them to start with NLS Finicky Fish Formula. Pretty much all my fish eat them. Every fish is different and a case in point is my baby bandit which prefer flakes more than frozen but after a while it will take PE Mysis.

Stuart60611
05/05/2009, 06:13 PM
My picasso at first did not like the pellets. I got him to eat the pellets by mixing them in with the other foods he likes. I think he occassionally ate a pellet when going after the foods he liked and eventually has come to love them.

LauraCline
05/05/2009, 07:39 PM
2-3x per day for both tanks. I usually feed ORA granules in the morning and maybe in the afternoon and then rotate mysis, Rod's food, and stuff from the grocery here and there at night. I also put in Nori for the tangs a few times per week.

saltman23
05/05/2009, 07:43 PM
once a day...sometimes once every 2 days.

grouperman
05/05/2009, 09:06 PM
grouper gets fed every other day but sometimes i give in to the begging and give him a small amount in between days .

anbosu
05/06/2009, 08:13 AM
I feed my reef twice a day usually, but my FOWLR 3-4 times a week with my homemade mixture.

kirkaz
05/06/2009, 12:01 PM
I feed pellets in the afternoon whenever I get home from work (between 2 and 5pm typically), a mix of NFS, Formula 1 & 2. Then about 9:00pm I give a mix of frozen (majority would be mysis, also squid, brine, bloodworms, angel formula, clam, etc.).....I give a good sized sheet of seaweed every other day.

Blue Zoo Mix in the small tank once a day usually.

unleashed13
05/06/2009, 01:17 PM
3-4 times daily pellets and flakes alternate .. 3 times per week i feed frozen prepared foods mixtures by species..nightly i feed my porc puffer

StayPuft
05/06/2009, 03:49 PM
I was able to get the Queen Angel to eat the NLS pellets today by soaking them in garlic first.