PDA

View Full Version : Curing Rock with Sand in the tank? (new aquarium)

sebrofjr
05/05/2009, 10:29 PM
So i should have access to some live rock by the end of the week . I had mentioned in a earlier post that I already have the system up and running, however I have already added sand to the tank, previously thinking I was getting pre-cured rock until I found a retailer with a excellent deal on Fiji Premium.

Now, I was going to just scrub the rocks a bit, do a high salinity dunk, then put them in the tank to cure. Will the sand be too much of a problem when the die off occurs? As in stuff constantly being embedded /stuck in the sand? or will it be manageable?

If not, should I remove the sand? and if so, what would be the best way without say.. draining that tank.

As always, thanks for your advice.

thegrun
05/05/2009, 10:35 PM
Keep the sand, although you need to be sure you set the base rocks all the way down to the bottom of the tank (no sand between the rock and the bottom): otherwise the rocks will eventually shift as the sand below them washes out. You will need to vacuum up the debris as it falls off the live rock, but no big deal.

pimpinitup6969
05/05/2009, 10:37 PM
+1 to leaving the sand

PRDubois
05/05/2009, 11:54 PM
+1 to leaving the sand

sebrofjr
05/06/2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, I think I'm ready to go ahead now this weekend. I'll post some pics after its up. I was thinking of doing a time lapse of the curing process in the tank too for kicks.

thegrun
05/06/2009, 10:07 AM
Good luck and WELCOME!

thegrun
05/06/2009, 10:13 AM
PS
If I had to do it again, I would drill and secure my rockwork with dowels when I first set up the tank (now that I have corals all over the rock, it would be impossible to do without killing or breaking most of the coral). I have had a few rockslides while cleaning the tank or placing new corals in the tank.

sebrofjr
05/06/2009, 10:35 AM
Hmm, I was going to use the reefsafe epoxy but the dowel method sounds alot better (and more practical if you have to move or take them apart). I have masonry bit I could use to drill the holes in the rock but what would I use for the dowels? I will have to go digging at home depot.

zik74
05/06/2009, 10:52 AM
If at all possible drill them first and use the dowels. I used the epoxy when I was setting up my tank and still had few rockslides.

Toddrtrex
05/06/2009, 11:39 AM
I prefer to cure without sand, but not so much that I would suggest removing your sand. But, I would make sure to vacuum the top layer of the sand when you do your water changes during the cycle (( I do water changes during the cycle/cure --- didn't pay good money for quality live rock, want to limit the ammonia spike so that there is a better chance of that life making it )). The reason to vacuum the top layer is to get all the detritus, that will come off the rocks, out of the system.