PDA

View Full Version : laminate flooring

franb
05/06/2009, 03:47 PM
i have a 75g aquarium and 30g sump plus stand would that be too much weight to put on a laminate floor.

JCJHET
05/06/2009, 03:58 PM
I have a 125 on laminate and haven't had any problems yet. Just make sure to mop any spills up quickly.

Ehaze
05/06/2009, 04:31 PM
laminate can take tons of weight, it will mess up with the high humidity, crack apart, and bubble, warp/chips.... If you do decide to go over it, your floor will be trashed from the water in a matter of time. If you do put a tank on it, make sure it is glue together laminate, not snap.

jbird69
05/06/2009, 04:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14964559#post14964559 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ehaze
laminate can take tons of weight, it will mess up with the high humidity, crack apart, and bubble, warp/chips.... If you do decide to go over it, your floor will be trashed from the water in a matter of time. If you do put a tank on it, make sure it is glue together laminate, not snap.

I totally disagree with this. I have layed tons of both kind. The glue together is an obsolete product. (this, along with tile, is what I do) The snap together will expand and contract as a unit with its adjoining peices. It will not come apart. I have been to pretty sever water damage jobs where the floor swelled an buckled. I put fans on it for 2 days and you couldnt tell anything ever happened. This has only been the case for the last 10 years or so (the age of snap together) Before that, when we were dealing with glued products, the floor was a total loss every time.

As far as the original question, Laminate can only handle so much water before it deteriorates. Its not a good option for moist environs...namely bathrooms. To answer the question tho, the structure underneath the laminate is what is carrying the load, not the flooring itself.

ChuckLawson
05/06/2009, 06:57 PM
I have a 210 on laminate -- of course it's the obsolete glued-together kind that was already cracked, bubbled and warped :-) But I can't see where the weight of the tank has bothered it any further...