PDA

View Full Version : Anemone question

guri11214
05/07/2009, 11:58 AM
Even so I’m 5 years in the hobby never had an anemone. Have a 4 years old maroon clown (bad girl bites me all the time) she was hosting my hairy mushrooms for a long time and recently started hosting Duncan coral and my Duncan doesn’t like it wanna get anemone but I don’t have to much space have 90g a lot of corals sps lps zoas softies so I don’t want anemone to move a lot I know that carpet or bobble tip is the best for my clown but are the move a lot? Anybody have suggestion?
Thanks a lot guys

flamron
05/07/2009, 01:17 PM
I'd suggest that if you have a lot of SPS, you stay away from anemones. I had two BTAs and one just randomly started roaming. I got lucky and got him out before he did too much damage. If you really want one, I'd recommend an isolated rock.

Gig 'em
05/07/2009, 03:05 PM
BTA's will stay in the same spot for a while, but if something changes and they are unhappy they will start moving and it can be pretty bad if you have a lot of sps. But I haven't had many issues with roaming and my sps in the tank. The only problem with my BTA is it loves to find it's way into powerheads

dsoz
05/08/2009, 02:58 PM
Your best bet is to get a rock with a nice big, deep hole in the center of it, and put it up high in lots of light and lots of flow. Plop the anemone in the middle of the hole and once it attaches, FEED IT LOTS OF FOOD!!!! When anemones have lots of food, light and flow they TEND to not move around too much. That does not mean that it will not move, but it will help.

Also cover powerhead intakes.
do a google search for karensroseanemones and read that entire site, especially the section on covering powerheads. Lots of good ideas there.

dsoz

wicked_NaCl_h2o
05/08/2009, 03:13 PM
You could get an anemone for them that will stay in the sand. Even though its not their natural host, I have seen many maroons take to an M.doreensis or an H.Crispa. Just make sure the M.doreensis or H. Crispa is much larger than your maroons. Maroons tend to love their anemones to death.