PDA

View Full Version : how fast should water be coming threw my coralife RO system?

brad7373
05/07/2009, 01:29 PM
too slow and theirs no waste water too fast and it does more than the suggested GPD. how do i know what pressure and speed the water should be going threw the system?

drparker
05/07/2009, 02:03 PM
If you got a pressure gauge on it you want the pressure going in to be above 40 pounds.

Fizz71
05/07/2009, 02:04 PM
I generally don't care what the flow is as long as the TDS is near 0. I'd let your house pressure go full tilt into the RO and see what you get.

The GPD rating is based on an average pressure and temperature ratings in homes. So a little higher or lower is no big deal, too low and you need a booster pump. Too high and you have problems other places in your home. :)

I've never restricted my intake.

Toddrtrex
05/07/2009, 02:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14970030#post14970030 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brad7373
too slow and theirs no waste water too fast and it does more than the suggested GPD. how do i know what pressure and speed the water should be going threw the system?

A bit hard to understand what you are saying. But, if there is no waste water then the RO membrane is most likely not seated all the way.

WaterKeeper
05/07/2009, 05:04 PM
And the flow restrictor goes on the RO discharge line, not the intake line.

KarlBob
05/07/2009, 05:30 PM
If your system is producing more water than it's rated to produce, there are a couple of possibilities.

If the TDS is higher than it should be, then there is a problem with the system, and lowering the water pressure on the intake side is not likely to lower the TDS.

If the TDS is close to zero, and your system is producing more RO/DI water than it's rated to produce, then you probably received a higher gpd membrane than what the company promised you.

The membranes are not standardized products, and a production line cannot consistently crank out membranes that process the exact same gpd. They're most often sold on an "at least" basis. A membrane sold by most companies as a 450 gpd membrane may actually achieve 465 gpd, but it should not produce only 435 gpd. A few companies, such as SpectraPure, will sell you pre-tested membranes, giving you a much more precise target than an "at least" rating.

James79
05/07/2009, 05:42 PM
Ah, open the faucet full bore! If you get alot more GPD than expected check the seat of membrane. The red tube is waste and blue is pure water. A TDS meter will be needed to monitor membrane performance, mine did not last long (coralife 50gpd ro/di) but made slightly more than 2 gal/hr @ 75psi. Also purchase another brand of DI resin for replacement when needed. Check out BULKREEFSUPPLY or BUCKEYEFIELDSUPPLY their resin is much better ie. full canisters.