PDA

View Full Version : Zoo issue - <pics>

thefu
05/07/2009, 02:47 PM
Since a few days ago I have had this problem with one and only one large colony of zoos. It is a huge field of zoos I have on one rock...its like 8"x10". They first looked all inverted, curly, etc then they closed up. They are long skirted zoos and the skirts are all twisted...some are out, some are partially out, and some are out but look all shrively. Other zoos in the tanks seem to be fine. Now about 1/2 look real bad or dead, 1/4 look sickly but open, and 1/4 seem to be doing just fine. As I said, all other zoos in the tank seem normal.

Nothing has changed in the tank, all params are great. The only thing related to them that happened is that I pulled a large bristle worm out of this rock the day before and it broke in two and it oozed out some blood or guts.

It does not seem like pox to me from what I read. If someone knows specifically what this is or what to do, I appreciate it. I know that there are dips, injections, vitamin C, etc. but I want the best advice not just speculation...who is the expert here?

The first image is them now The second image is them before (and before they spread out as nice as they are now)

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq312/tbfu2000/misc/zoos-1.jpg

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq312/tbfu2000/1month-08.jpg

650-IS350
05/07/2009, 03:57 PM
Can you please post your tank parameters ( I know you say they are great and all. )

When you took out the bristleworm, did you place the rock back in the same exact place to did you decide to place it somewhere else?

In the attempt to get the bristle worm out of the rock, did you happen to mush or get the worm all over the polyps and they're stalks?

geoxman
05/07/2009, 05:48 PM
Your PH at 7.00 is pretty low so I am guessing that the Alk is also a little on the short side as well. What test kits are you using? They are also really reaching for light IMHO. That Indo polyp does much better under higher light and the color gets much better as well. Was the 2nd picture when you first got them? Your temperature is fine at 82 for most Indonesian polyps but if they are stressed from other circumstances it will lead to the problem you are experiencing.
Your chiller is on at present 6:45 can you dial it back a degree or two over the next day?
Have you had any temp swings?
I would check Alk and get the PH up and see where that takes you. I would also keep a real close eye out for pox. good luck!

Edit...why are your heater and chiller on at the same time? I just noticed that??

thefu
05/11/2009, 01:07 PM
So, the PH is actually the PH of my Ca reactor effluent controlling the solenoid.

The temp in my tank usually is between 79-80.

Alk is 11.5 and Ca is 460. Nitrates and Ammonia are zero.

The heater and chiller are not on at the same time, the RK2 loses its labels sometimes when it resets.

I was about 3 days behind on my Lugols dose when this happened. Two days after it happened, I added Lugols and whereas I usually go 3-4 drops, I went to 6.

The next day, they started to return to normal. SOme that Ithought were long gone have even recovered. I think I have about 65% recovered now and only about 10-15% that may never recover.

I think the iodine helped out.

thefu
05/15/2009, 02:09 PM
OK, about 95% recovered now...clearly the Lugols helped as they started their recovery that same day and continued recovering over the next four days.

Tens
05/16/2009, 01:21 AM
lets see some updated pics of there recovery :)

flyyyguy
05/16/2009, 01:30 AM
do I see a little pox on some of those front polyps?? Hard to tell...just chekcing

If it was, it wouldnt speak to any of your symptoms IMO, but just checking as if it was you want to get it while the getting is good